Sump or refugium

Pfisherman

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2006
Sandwich, Illinois
It is getting to be tax time and I will be adding a much needed sump or fuge to my 75. Currently it is a FOWLR but I am slowly working towards a reef setup, I am looking at the large HOB cpr fuge. From my LFS it is quite a steal with the light, MUD and stocked with pods and macro algae. I looked at all the DIY overflows on youtube since tank is not drilled and they scare me, same with those HOB over flows. I rent and if the power goes out the crap loses siphon and my sump is pumped onto my carpet. No Good.

So on thereeftank.com forum I stumbled on this:
http://www.glass-holes.com/700-gph-Overflow-Box-Complete-Kit-gh700kit.htm

This kit would allow me to sump my tank, Interesting. I am a bit nervous to drill the tank, but I am warming up to it. I think I could sump it for a reasonable price and build a fuge into the sump.

Can anyone help me out with some pro's or con's

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
Sumps are highly reccommended. There really aren't any cons to using a sump besides the extra space needed for the sump tank but you can throw them in your stand too. The pros to using a sump are: a place to hide your equipment, adds more water volume which is a great thing, gives you a place to put a fuge, safely houses pods, a place to put more LR, a place to have another DSB, good spot to dose, a place to let get yucky and grow algae that you don't want in your DT. There are more pros but I think that would be enough for me. I have 2 tanks and both of them have Sumps. I will never have a salt tank without a sump.

The way I did my Sumps make it physically impossible for them to overflow when the power goes out. I use a eshopps hob overflow and it works great. I will be drilling my next tank though just because it's going to be a bigger tank. The downside to.drilling your tank is possibly busting the glass. Glass holes is a very well known overflow company and they do a good job of explaining how to do it in their videos but it's still not the easiest thing to do. Conclusion... Sump. DO IT

Sent from my HTC One V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
buy an oversized sump and fill it halfway - keep return pipes close to the surface of the tank and then no need for overflows also this allows for an idiot fill line for easy no brainer top offs

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store