Blonde Naso Tang Not Eating

Mbartoloni7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
LI, New York
I have recently purchased a Blonde Naso Tang. I have had him for approximately 3 days. His tank mates include lightning chromis, anthias, and 2 maroon clownfish. The tank is 180 gallons. He is by far the biggest fish in the tank. I have been trying green algae sheets, new life spectrum sinking pellets, and ocean nutrition formula 2 flakes. Any suggestions?

Jrob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2011
Michigan
almost all tangs aren't daily eaters like your clown, chromis, and anthias.... they are grazers...

clip the algae sheet (dry) to a veggie clip and let it sit in the tank, i assure you he will get hungry and nibble at it, unless there is just tons of growth on your rock that he is feasting on...

Mbartoloni7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
LI, New York
i have been leaving the algae clipped, however, there isn't much algae for him to nibble on and he is starting to look very skinny. Getting nervous

Jrob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2011
Michigan
ok, well i've had success with a trick before...but it's going to take a bit of work...if you find he isn't even approaching the clip..he might be scared of it...so ditch the clip....

grab a small rubber band, and rubber band a piece of the nori to a part of your live rock, so it looks more natural like the algae is growing off of the rock instead... but don't just do it in one place do it in a few so it looks like it's actually growth not a trick... depending on the size of the fish..it might be more difficult...because the larger fish tend to be more difficult to train or get to eat... even more so if it is wild caught... then you misewell just return him hahaha... but seriously try the algae bands...

if that doesn't work, entice it with some brine shrimp... it may not have much nutritional value...but it's a filler

TNTtropical

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2013
ABC
you can also try to dose your seaweed in a garlic suppplament, or i think you can even buy garlic infused seaweed that usually does the trick. However, if it is big and a wild caught specimen, then you could be in for more of a challenge as adult tangs have a harder time adjusting to captivity compared to juvies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store