Is your Bowfin picky ?

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
When he was small, he would eat anything and everything, but now that he is 7 or 8 inches, he won't touch much at all. He has become one of the most finicky feeders ever. Anyone else have the same experience?

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
Of the eight bowfins that I have kept, all were finicky to a certain extent. They are however aggressive eaters when you find the foods that they do like.

I avoid live feeders, but when I did feed, they were all readily accepted by Bowfins.

None of the eight consistently took pellet even NLS garlic.

Scallop and shrimp were hit or miss.

Smelt, luke warm at best.

Tilapia sliced into thin minnow shape has never failed with any of the eight to be utterly crushed and somewhat difficult requiring hand feeding to get to my Florida gars on occasion.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Thanks for all your observations!

One thing I have not tried, is market fish. (He won't eat herring anymore, though.) It's very odd, since he used to chow on everything, until a couple months ago, then something "turned off." Weird fish!

Kaliedoscope

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2010
Oklahoma City Oklahoma USA
www.facebook.com
Sounds like they are obligate piscivores - Wouldn't you have the best luck feeding a variety of fishes (of course not goldfish or minnows as the diseases are ghastly) IMO obligate piscivores are best left on live food. For example, leaf fish will never do well unless they are consistantly given live fish - hunting really does a lot for the emotional health of an obligate predator (obligate meaning they HAVE TO eat this food in the wild)

OF course the less you know about fish the more you might object to what I am proposing : )

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
No, they are not obligate piscivores - and no, I'm not looking for advice on what to feed him. The people above, get what I'm talking about. Comparing notes is what it is.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
I have not tried market prawns - I think I'll experiment with a few different market meats.

I actually forgot that he does LOVE one thing - and that's "lunch meats" - you know the thinly sliced cold cuts? He loves those - ham, turkey, chicken. Obviously he hasn't gotten much, though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store