Water Cow Goby spitting food

twohuskies

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2010
North Carolina
I've got a water cow goby that's about 11-12" now. I've had him for about a year. He has always eaten thawed raw shrimp and chunks of talapia heartily. But, over the last 10 days or so, his appetite has diminished and he's now spitting out the food that he has previously eaten with gusto.

He seems fine in every other respect - his behavior hasn't hanged except he seems to not want to eat. This is my first water cow and I adore this fish. Anyone have a similar experience or suggest what could be wrong??

twohuskies

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2010
North Carolina
Just wanted to update that I solved the mystery. I was thawing the talapia in the plastic bag it was packaged in. Package says not to do that. When I took fish out of plastic and stored thawed pieces in tupperware, appetite returned to ravenous!

twohuskies

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2010
North Carolina
Well, I'm back. My water cow now will not eat ANYTHING. In fact, he seems quit agitated when I try to drop food right in front of his face. He has always eaten thawed shrimp and tilapia. He won't eat either now. I tried some soaked krill tonight with the same results - nada. He hasn't eaten in at least 5 days now.:(:(: These fish are supposed to be gluttons, yet mine won't eat at all.

I'm starting to wonder if he could have a parasite or bacterial problem now? He sometimes "levitates" with his nose pointing upwards.

Any help or suggestions appreciated. He is one of my favorite fish, and I'm at a loss. Thanks in advance...

newtofish

Feeder Fish
Jun 10, 2014
Peabody
Well, I'm back. My water cow now will not eat ANYTHING. In fact, he seems quit agitated when I try to drop food right in front of his face. He has always eaten thawed shrimp and tilapia. He won't eat either now. I tried some soaked krill tonight with the same results - nada. He hasn't eaten in at least 5 days now.:(:(: These fish are supposed to be gluttons, yet mine won't eat at all.

I'm starting to wonder if he could have a parasite or bacterial problem now? He sometimes "levitates" with his nose pointing upwards.

Any help or suggestions appreciated. He is one of my favorite fish, and I'm at a loss. Thanks in advance...
Mine is doing the same thing, I've only had him for a couple weeks and he is my favorite fish already. Have you figured out what it was yet?

Icthisapian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2012
Wareham, MA
He could be bound up? They also suffer fungal issues fairly readily. Keep the water clean, hold off on feeding a few days. Maybe keep the light off. And watch him. What kind of substrate do you use?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store