Best Pellet Food for Stingrays - Part Deux

peterp63

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
On a boat!
Feel free to research the ingredients, etc. on your own. I've picked high- to medium-quality pellet foods from reputable manufacturers. As stated before, my main goal is to provide our rays with a quality, economical pellet food.

Here are the prices listed from most to least expensive.

Hikari Carnivore - 2.2 lb -> $50 = $22.73 per lb
Hikari Massivore - 2.2 lb -> $43 = $19.55 per lb
Hikari Sturgeon - 4.4 lb -> $58 = $13.18 per lb
NLS Mega - 1875g -> $50 = $12.11 per lb
NLS Thera A Jumbo - 2240g -> $55 = $11.16 per lb
Ken's premium earthworm sticks - 5 lb -> $48.50 = $9.70 per lb
HBH Super Soft & Moist Krill (or Spirulina) Large – 5 lb -> $47.75 = $9.55 per lb
Hikari Cichlid Gold - 2.2 lb -> $15 = $6.82 per lb
HBH Super Cichlid Sinkers – 5 lb -> $28.50 = $5.70 per lb
Ken's premium krill pellet 6mm - 5 lb -> $27.00 = $5.40 per lb

peterp63

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
On a boat!
NOTE: After speaking to the Affordable Aquatics folks, it sounds like the Hikari Sturgeon medium pellet is going away due to lack of consumer interest. They stated that the packaging was way too expensive and isn't paying out either (why don't they minimize the packaging like the other Hikari bulk foods???). Anyways, he's trying to find 22 lb ultra-bulk prices for medium sized Sturgeon for me. We'll see if it seems economical or if it even pans out...

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Entertainment is always needed at work, too bad they track my usage, So far I like the nls/massivore mix I buy from kens 100.00 at a time for free shipping. Best find for myself so far, well other then the Asian market 3.99 per pound of large shrimp.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
How are the kens krill pellets treating everyone?? Rays accepting them and like them?? Do they sink fast, I have some meat waffers and they float along time.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
My rays wont touch the Ken's krill pellets or the earth worm sticks
I have been getting bulk frozen krill from jehmco and they really love that. (they've also learned to come to the top for freeze dried!)

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
How are the kens krill pellets treating everyone?? Rays accepting them and like them?? Do they sink fast, I have some meat waffers and they float along time.

i recently just tried the kens krill pellets, and the catfish sticks, and the worm pellets, and my rays dont like them either. they will eat a few, but always leave a mess in the tank i have to net out. they will clean house with massivore, or cichlid gold though.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Are you already feeding massivore or no pellets are being accepted at all??

My rays wont touch the Ken's krill pellets or the earth worm sticks
I have been getting bulk frozen krill from jehmco and they really love that. (they've also learned to come to the top for freeze dried!)

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Massivore is there main food but they wouldnt take the ken's stuff even before they were addicted.,.. i use the krill and fresh shrimp to suplement I like the krill better as i find it easier and they eat the whole animal as they would in the wild.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store