What can I feed my ray besides ghost shrimp?

Vee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
Kinston, NC
I bought my first FW ray a few weeks ago, she's a "teacup" stingray about 10 inches long. I've been feeding her ghost shrimp and have tried to feed her feeder guppies, but she only seems to go for the shrimp. It seems as though she's not very good at catching food yet, because she seems to have a very hard time catching the shrimp and won't go for the guppies at all. I would like to figure out something I can feed her besides shrimp that she'll actually eat but she doesn't seem to be interested in anything else. I need suggestions on some type of food that I can buy in larger quantities so that I don't have to go to the fish store every day to buy her shrimp.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
shes probably a retic. first off feeders are no good so dont even try that. if shes taking ghost shrimp try some frozen krill
but generally you have to start them with blackworms then ween them onto other stuff.

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
The best starter food is chopped earthworms. What was the previous owner/lfs feeding?

Vee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
Kinston, NC
They were also feeding her ghost shrimp, and that's where I'm still buying them from. For some reason the store doesn't carry any kinds of worms. I think I may try a fishing supply store to see if they have some blackworms. She doesn't seem to like anything unless it's live. I've tried freeze dried baby shrimp soaked in water, frozen brine shrimp because they didn't have krill, and even beef heart just to see if she would eat it, and she didn't. The fish loved it though, hah

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Potamotrygon Reticulata

Common Names:
Reticulated River Ray, Teacup Ray, Colombian Ray

Distribution:
Magdalena and Atrato Rivers, Colombia

Maximum Size (Disc Width):
appx. 14"+, females get larger.

*Note: P. Magdalenae have elongated tails, total length adult: 30".
This is considered one of the 3 smallest Freshwater Stingrays.

Juvenile Tank Footprint: 48"x18"

Adult Tank Footprint:
72"x30"

Feeding Habits: P. Reticulata tend to very finicky eaters, especially when juvenile. They tend to only eat small live foods, such as ghost shrimp and blackworms for the first few months in captivity. Once acclimated, they can be weaned to other small prepared foods.

Info:
Potamotrygon Reticulata is one of the most common and mis-identified stingrays in the aquarium hobby. Often Exported and Imported as 'Teacup' Stingray, a generic term used for a juvenile stingray with no identification. This species is more prone to becoming neglected during shipment, and being of very poor quality once acclimated in a local fish store. Parasites are a very common secondary infection due to stress and improper husbandry while at distributorships. P. Reticulata come in a number of different color variants and patterns. Both geographical variations will be noted in the photo gallery, as their is still much confusion to the identification of this particular species. It is believed that their are actually 2 seperate sub-species of P. Reticulkata, with names such as 'Red Reticulata, Potamotrygon sp. "Red", and Colombian Red Ray."

R.S Rosa recently hypothesized that P. Reticulata is synonymous with Potamotrygon Orbignyi, and should be classified as such. Hobbyists have noted some morphological differences in what seems to be 2 separate sub-species, such as the tail structure varying from one specimen to the next. It is near impossible to use these physical characteristics in home aquaria as defining parameters in the variations, due to shipping damage of the tail structure. Other defining characteristics in the variations have been noted as well, including the pattern and coloration on the underside of one P. Reticulata, while this characteristic is unfound in some other varieties of P. Reticulata.​
Attached Images

Vee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
Kinston, NC
Yep, that's DEFINITLEY my ray! And judging from her size and eating habits she's very young. When I woke up this morning she had a small white mark on her face which I'm pretty positive is from my tiny parrot cichlid who I immediately took out and put into another tank. What can I do to make sure that it heals properly? And one more thing, she's been jumping up to the top of the tank like she's playing, and it's really cute but I'm curious to know what it means and if it's something bad.

Vee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
Kinston, NC
Well there's a few shrimp left in there but she doesn't really look for them or pay them any mind when she's near them

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Small teacups go for fifty bucks around here and I am always tempted to try one when I see them in the stores.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store