Lost my BBXB today

theyangman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Woke up this morning to feed my fish and didn't see my bbxb anywhere and began to fear the worst. Looked behind the tank and I found him all dried up....

Lids were all closed, and had weights, he bust through the back of the lid where the plastic flap (The part you can cut away for filters and stuff). It must have been slightly loose and not fit onto the glass 100% properly, and he burst through. He was 9" and was my first Asian arowana...

This loss has me really thinking if I want to continue on with this entire hobby. The amount of money lost in that one fish is beyond what I want to think about let alone a replacement. I waited months to get him, and now he is in a bag waiting to be buried. He was my favorite fish and people always asked about him when they saw him.

I'm thinking of scrapping the tank, and going salt perhaps. The whole idea of finding another bbxb or Asian arowana in general has got me down. I have never lost a fish like this before. Sure I have lost small cichlids but they were like 10 - 15 bucks. Never anything of this caliber. I'm kinda upside down on how to continue right now.... So pissed at myself that I didn't see that it wasn't 100% secure.

1. Sorry to hear about your loss.
2. This might be difficult to understand right now, but without loss, we can't know how privileged we are to have anything really.

Good luck, give it a few days...

sanwixh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2011
Manila, Philippines
Its heart breaking to see any expensive fish die but when it comes to aros i just prefer to believe that they caught the bad luck that was coming and hope that whatever it was was worth his life. Bounce back from this and take care of them like you did with this one and hope they bring you good luck.

(I'm chinese and prefer to believe in the superstition of it all)

Sent from my HTC One S using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

supergourami

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
ontario
yep i went downstairs last week to not see any of my 3 pbass in there :( i still dont know where they went

theyangman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Well, I can't imagine the conversion costing more than say 2000.00.

I have to weigh my options here. Do I go get another Asian Arowana for 1000-2000, or do I sell the current stock and invest a little more and end up with a marine tank? Really hard choice here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store