Fresh to Saltwater conversion

theyangman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
So my Arowana died last night and I am considering converting my 180 gallon fresh water tank to salt. I need some help in what I would need to complete the transfer. I have done some looking around and the information all seems kinda scattered and I am a complete newbie to marine.

This is my current equipment:

180 gallon NON drilled tank.
1 FX5
2 Eheim Pro 3 G160 Canister Filters
2 Koralia 4 power heads
Black Tahitian Moon sand

3 10 watt LED flood lights

Now, providing my tank has been cleaned and lets assume this equipment is squeaky clean from any previous fish, could I get some pointers on how to go about the conversion? Is the substrate still good? Do I have to convert to crushed coral? etc...

Please take me from the top as this is my first foray into marine and I want to do it right. I'd like to re-use as much (if anything) as I can and do it once, but do it right.

dragonfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2006
Florida
Sorry about your aro. Not 100% on this but think you may need to change the substrate but everything else should be fine. Had saltwater over 30 years ago and had a sandy bottom with UGF's. Guess it will also depend on what you want to keep.

KellyFrancis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2012
Somerset WI
Well I'm not gonna be much help as far as your conversion goes. But I just stopped in to say sorry for your loss! :( and welcome to the dark side! The waters are warm! :thumbsup:

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rwellbaum

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2012
USA
I think that you can still use your moon sand but add some crushed coral or some live sand. you will want to look into a good protein skimmer filter, and get live rock. what kind of sw fish are you planning on getting? any corals?

dragonfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2006
Florida
I think that you can still use your moon sand but add some crushed coral or some live sand. you will want to look into a good protein skimmer filter, and get live rock. what kind of sw fish are you planning on getting? any corals?
Looking it up it says for fresh or saltwater so sounds like you're good as long as it's cleaned.

KellyFrancis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2012
Somerset WI
Don't get live sand. Everything's dead and its not worth the money, or so they say. Get a good high quality aragonite sand or crushed coral (Which I'm told are the same thing, lol) Skimmers really aren't life or death unless you plan to go reef and even there, there are some that swear by them and some that swear at them. Canisters are the bane of SW due to the amount of upkeep they require, do a sump instead if its at all convenient. Aaand yeah...That's about all I got for now. ;)

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
I would change out the sand. Canisters arnt very helpfull I would sell them to get a sump. To add a sump if your tank isnt drilled you just but HANG ON BACK OVER FLOWS.

KellyFrancis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2012
Somerset WI
I would change out the sand. Canisters arnt very helpfull I would sell them to get a sump. To add a sump if your tank isnt drilled you just but HANG ON BACK OVER FLOWS.
This. ^

If you poke around on youtube, you can find tutorials on how to make them. Or, if you wanna be lazy, you can buy them too. Same with a sump. You can buy ready-made sumps or you can use an old tank and just make one. Again, Youtube is your friend. :)

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Loose the sand it'll be a nitrate nightmare from previous use - start new start sterile.

Things you need - Non-reef salt mix, hydrometer, 180 lbs porous calcified rock from the ocean not lakes, good heater, good saltwater testkit, and better lights - 30watts won't do much for PH stability in 180 gal of saltwater

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store