How long does driftwood tan?

Matt S

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
Mass
Well I've had two pieces of Malaysian driftwood in my tank for about a month now and they are still tanning strong about how long does it tan before it stops I add extra carbon bags to my filter to take out the color and soak it in just curious as to how much longer it will last

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Pretty much forever IME. I have 3 pieces of malaysian wood that are 20 years old that still leech tannins.......it's slowed considerably, but they still leech.

If boiling is an option it can help slow it down, but I thinkas long as it's in the water it will to some degree. Purigen is great for pulling out tannins and organics. Like carbon but can be recharged for a long time

Matt S

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
Mass
Pretty much forever IME. I have 3 pieces of malaysian wood that are 20 years old that still leech tannins.......it's slowed considerably, but they still leech.

If boiling is an option it can help slow it down, but I thinkas long as it's in the water it will to some degree. Purigen is great for pulling out tannins and organics. Like carbon but can be recharged for a long time
Thanks jc well I'm going to have to decide what I'm going to do but after I unload my plecos or trade them for discus ill most likely sell it I like my tanks crystal clear and the yellowy orange water is just driving me crazy I thought eventually it would stop but guess not oh well

Matt S

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
Mass
^^ yeah the loricariids don't help matter much either with them constantly rasping on it. I have quite a few myself...
Yeah my royal and blue eye are saw dust factories lol I do a water change and it looks like a piece of driftwood explode in the tank

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
When i added driftwood it continued to leach tannins for a few months. I finally got sick of it and added carbon to the filter. It cleared up within a few days and never came back. I think each piece of driftwood is going to be different, but it should eventually stop and the carbon certainly quickened the pace.

terror27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
newark nj
I feel your pain I've have two 9 inch royals l191 and l330 that just are non stop at the wood . But even without the plecos I've had the wood for 4 monthe or so and still is tanning

Sent from my ADR6350 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Llamalord

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2009
Montana
:( I was knid of hoping to hear the water cleared up quickly, I've had a good bit of wood for maybe a year, and was wondering if something was wrong. Still leaching, but with the amount of water changes I do it's not so bad I guess :/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store