silicone choices for tank

chiroken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2012
Vancouver Island, BC Canada
Yes, another silicone question! Been searching online and it seems people recommend GE I or a particular DAP product? It needs to NOT have any mildew resistant qualities etc, just 100% pure silicone from what I am gathering.

I have 2 large overflows in my tank that have a royal blue acrylic over the glass overflow walls. I'm painting the back of the tank (on the outside!) black and want to cover the blue acrylic with 1/8" black acrylic. Was planning on siliconing the black over the blue. The blue was siliconed to the glass and my guess is it would be nearly impossible to chip off the blue sheets based on the massive silicone smeared between the glass and acrylic. Seems alot easier to just put new 1/8" black over top.

The top edge of the overflows I plan on siliconing strips of black egg crate on edge. That was what was originally on but I've pulled them off to clean.
These are the 2 uses of silicone. I'd like to use black to adhere the top egg crate but it wouldn't be critical if is was clear, black would look better imo.

If anyone here in Canada knows actual retailers that would be great. Locally I have Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Home Hardware.

Thanks

biguebs

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Your information is correct. I don't know for sure about the DAP product to choose, but the GE I (Window & Door) is what is recommended pretty unanimously. I have used it several times (including patching my 180), and I just get it at Lowe's. If you have a Home Depot I'm sure they would carry it.

Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store