bathtub aquarium/pond

livebearerfreak

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2006
no where
moving to my grandads march 1st, and using the bathtub upstairs as a pond/aquarium. its about 5 foot long, 18 to 20 inches wide, about 16 or so deep ( i think? this is just an estimate ) what would you do with this? what fish would you put in there? thinking african cichlids :) it will be bare bottom to..

Llamalord

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2009
Montana
might be hard to shower with cichlids in your tub =P
Pffff, bathing with your fish is a great way to make sure they stay clean, don't want them stink do you?

In all seriousness, I don't see why it wouldn't work, I would definitely make sure the tub is cleaned thoroughly. There's a pretty good chance there's soap and chemical buildup which will certainly interfere with the fish's ability to live. The other concern would be the open top, unless you were to construct something, there's always the possibility that the fish may leap for freedom.

With all that said if you're going with a bare bottom water changes would be so simple. Just drain and refill ;)

livebearerfreak

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2006
no where
lol that i would be happy with. drain and refill :) and i will put a net or something over the tub drain so the fish dont get sucked down LMAO

livebearerfreak

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2006
no where
pfft, may sound mean but i have 8 convicts half/full grown i frozed in the freezer along with some other fish ( had no place for them and no way to get to the LFS ) i dont do convicts anymore.. i have africans :) i use ot be a big CA/SA guy now i turned to africans :) but may buy a few feeder goldfish to try out in the tub and see how things go. dont want ot lose my africans... or i may just make the tub a gold fish pond type thingy :)

zungaro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2008
n.ireland
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjyA7Ukh
got this bath for free,cut out the side,fiberglassed in a small wooden frame,3x1 foot window,connected up a bottom drain with slide valve and an overflow with constant drip water change.going bout a year as a growout ,had some peacock bass in there ,now growing out an aligator gar.works grand :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store