Can I get some info on these fish?

icefreeze57

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
New Jersey
Hey guys, I need some information on a few different fish. I know I can read and read but tips from other owners.

I'm interested in Rainbow fish. The ones I'm looking at are regular "non-fancy" Austrlian Rainbow Fish

The other ones are Paradise Fish.

Thanks in advance.
-ice

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Why don't you just Google them?.....Sorry,couldn't resist.Thats actually a pet peeve of mine..when members are seeking advice or information and they are told to do that....Anyhow,I have kept both fish before and in my experience there is nothing special to keeping the Australian Rainbows,they make decent community tank inhabitants and do well with basic flakes...The paradise fish is a long time favorite of mine.It is related to the betta and i have kept it as such,in a small bowl on a few occasions.I think two males will fight if kept together and they can be victims of of other fish that tend to nip trailing fins.Hope this helps any.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

icefreeze57

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
New Jersey
It seems like Paradise are cold water Beta fish. Yeah Rainbows didn't seem as complicated as I thought they would be. Readings online (after basic info) can only go so far. It seems a little hard to tell what Rainbows species are (hence tank size, and set up and whatnot).

As far as googling, there ya go, I got basic info, but did think more info would be needed. And I did say already read some stuff and was looking for more details if there was anything I needed to know.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That's fine,my google intro was just jest since so many here are quick to tell others to use it,I would never seriously do that...From what I know the paradise fish is not exactly cold water but can tolerate lower temps that would not be comfortable to most tropical fish.

Too Many Choices

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2012
Australia
As far as rainbows go, pH above 7, and try to include predominantly plant based foods (algae flake etc). Other than that I believe they're pretty easy.

In regards to this comment

The ones I'm looking at are regular "non-fancy" Austrlian Rainbow Fish
THERE'S NO SUCH THING!

Even the dullest rainbows can show the most incredible colour, especially in the early morning when males will show off.

Try to keep a good sized school, as one or two won't be particularly happy.

This is a link to an Australian company that sells some amazing rainbows! Look in the Australian fish section and most of them are rainbows!

http://www.aquagreen.com.au/catalog.html

These are some particularly nice species IMO
http://www.aquagreen.com.au/plant_data/Iriatherina_werneri.html
http://www.aquagreen.com.au/plant_data/Melanotaenia_splendida_inornata_Mary_River.html
http://www.aquagreen.com.au/plant_data/Melanotaenia_trifasciata_(Cato).html
http://www.aquagreen.com.au/plant_data/Melanotaenia_trifasciata_Guyula.html

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
Are we talking about paradise gourami? At least thats what theyre called here. I can tell you these are easy to keep as long as you dont have any nippy fish that dont like long colorful tails. The females dont have the long tail, are fatter, and less color. They are also quite easy to breed. I bred a pair in a 29g with some floating pants. They build bubble nest like bettas. If you want me to elaborate let me know.

As for rainbows, i like them as a middle level fish or a semi agrressive tank an community tanks. I would keep a school and they arent picky. Ive kept them with south american and dwarf cichlids in 55g+ tanks.

Oh c'mon, really? Rainbowfish aren't THAT pretty that there is no 'non-fancy' stuff. In fact lol for all their beauty not many are fancy. Look I am all for our local fish, I keep all sort of natives like bullrouts, rainbowfish and pacific blue eyes, but gotta be honest with ourselves - a lot of rainbowfish really aren't that pretty at all, let alone 'fancy'.

Anyways.

Too Many Choices

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2012
Australia
Oh c'mon, really? Rainbowfish aren't THAT pretty that there is no 'non-fancy' stuff. In fact lol for all their beauty not many are fancy. Look I am all for our local fish, I keep all sort of natives like bullrouts, rainbowfish and pacific blue eyes, but gotta be honest with ourselves - a lot of rainbowfish really aren't that pretty at all, let alone 'fancy'.
Haha, I myself wouldn't keep them as a sole display, but IMO big healthy rainbows are some of the most stunning aquarium fish!

I keep all sort of natives like bullrouts
I have to say though. I WANT A BULLROUT SOOOOOOO BAD! I've emailed people about them and no one ships them because they break bags!!!!!!:irked::irked:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store