210G Tank with a 300G Sump....

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
I think that i have some of the crazier DIY systems around. Not the nicest or the most hardcore, but definitely crazy....

This was a build thread that I did a while after I installed the tank: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?360981-210-Gallon-Custom-Install

All the filtration is in the crawl-space of my house. For the most part it is housed in a 300 gallon Rubbermaid sump, but there is also a couple of NuClear canisters as well as an old 2017 Eheim.

overview+.jpg

In the sump are 4 bucket filters filled with a total of about 20 gallons of bioballs and three more buckets with 7x16 200 micron socks filtering the incoming tank water. The sump serves two tanks - a 135G in my garage and a 210G in my living room.

sump+.jpg

Left side:

left buckets+.jpg

Right side:

right buckets+.jpg

There is also one more PVC sock holder with a Rio 2500 that filters the sump water.

sock filter+.jpg

A series of NuClear canisters (100micron and 25 micron) are powered by an Iwaki MD55RLT in a closed loop on the 210G.

nuclears+.jpg

I built an automatic water change system that utilizes a DIY heat exchanger to warm the incoming well water with the outgoing tank water. http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...IY-Heat-Exchanger-for-Automatic-Water-Changes
I adjust it down to around 50 GPD in the winter and up to about 100GPD in the summer and am able to heat about 500 gallons of water with 1100W of heaters.

water change system+.jpg

The plumbing for the 210G is accessed through a couple of cabinet doors in the laundry room.

access doors+.jpg

I run a sort of a Herbie drain system with one of the "Megaflow" overflows using a restricted syphon and the other overflow flowing just a little and acting as an emergency drain. Both the drains and the return are in the left access panel.

left access+.jpg

The right access panel contains the intake and return for the closed loop system as well as a Pinpoint Marine temperature controller.

right access+.jpg

Under the tank the only visible equipment is a Tsunami wavemaker/feeding-timer.

lower cabinet+.jpg

A soffit lined with sound insulation board covers the drain plumbing.

soffit+.jpg

Lighting consists of three Marineland Double-bright fixtures (36",24" and 18") mounted on a tray that extends out for access to the lights and in for access to the tank.

lights out+.jpg

Lights in the 'in' position.

lights in+.jpg

The upper cabinets also have slide-out shelves, one of them is for fish food and the others belong to the wife. ;)

upper cabinet+.jpg

Next I will upload some pictures of the actual tanks.... :nilly:

overview+.jpg

sump+.jpg

left buckets+.jpg

right buckets+.jpg

nuclears+.jpg

sock filter+.jpg

water change system+.jpg

access doors+.jpg

left access+.jpg

right access+.jpg

lower cabinet+.jpg

soffit+.jpg

lights out+.jpg

lights in+.jpg

upper cabinet+.jpg

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
These are some recent shots of my tank. I just added six Pink-Tailed Chalceus last week. They are about 6", I had been growing them out in my 135 since they were 2". I really like the way they school in the top couple inches of water, I feel like the tank is finally filled out.

0.jpg

00.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

This is my 135 garage tank. It is hooked up to the same sump and also has an AC110 for some extra water movement and filtration. It has its own temperature controller, a Medusa controlling a Hydor 300W inline heater. The sump has 800W of glass heaters, for a total of 1100W of heat for ~500 gallons of water. I am in the process of moving the fish out of this tank - looking forward to stocking something new!

garage.jpg

0.jpg

00.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

garage.jpg

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
Nice job!! I love that you have everything in the crawl space well insulated.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Thanks! Insulation is the key to cutting power bills - I only run 1100W of heat for both tanks and the sump, a total of about 500G, over half of which is in a rather cold environment. The garage tank is also really well insulated.

Oh my god this is awesome!!!!!!! More pics! :popcorn:
Thanks, you have some awesomeness going on in your house, too! I uploaded some tank shots, so I guess individual fish should be next....

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
Some of the inhabitants:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Complete stock list, 210G:

6x Pink-Tailed Chalceus
3x Geophagus abalios
1x G. steindachneri
2x Acarichthys heckelii
1x Amphilophus robertsoni
1x Biotodoma cupido
1x Tahuantinsuyoa macantzatza
1x Mesonauta festivum (wild, Peru)
2x Heros severus "Gold"
1x Heros sp. "Iniridae" "Super Severum"
1x Semaprochilodus taeniurus

135G:

7x Shortbody G. steindachneri - mutant offspring that I haven't had the heart to feed to my Snapper, actually kind of cool looking.....:nilly:
5x Guianacara Geayi

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Your arrangement is well above impressive. :OMG:

I'm going to have to study the 15 pics from the OP after I oggle your fishies. Really nice looking tanks.

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
Your arrangement is well above impressive. :OMG:

I'm going to have to study the 15 pics from the OP after I oggle your fishies. Really nice looking tanks.
I guess I should have added "load warning" to the title.... :)

Thanks for the kind words!

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
Your filter system looks nuts to me but it clearly works wonders-the 210G looks amazing. Love the aquascaping with the wood.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store