KNIFEFISH ID

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
I bought this fish as a zebra knifefish. When I went home and looked at pictures I realized that this is not a zebra knifefish Any idea what it is? I also paid $15 for it , is that a fair price?

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Awesome looking knife. It could be a zebra hybrid or cross breed, not sure with what though. Definatly a cool looking knifefish. $15 bucks isnt a bad price, I probably would have bought it if it was me.

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
A zebra seems to have strips as oppose to dots. I thought maybe a clown knife, but it seems that a clown knife only has dots on half its body. Maybe a clown knife hybrid
It also does not have the typical knife shape, it is more like a bicshir.

Hoyo12

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
WI
fishsanctuary.webs.com
Thanks for the link I think the knife fish is a gymnotous maculosus (spotted knifefish). I will like to know what everyone thinks. Mine just has spots on their top half.

What you have is known as Gymnotus carapo, which has been mislabeled as the "Zebra Knifefish'' which I still know the Zebra Knife to be Gymnotus pedanopterus. The color patter near the anal fin of the Gymnotous maculosus that you have posted above is much different than the Knife you are currently keeping. Definitely a cool looking pattern for a Carapo Knife though, $15.00 is a very good deal in my eyes.
Pic of my Gymnotus carapo (Carapo) from awhile back
Carapo.jpg
Pic of my Gymnotus pedanopterus (Zebra) from awhile back (Just to show the difference)
Zebra.jpg

Carapo.jpg

Zebra.jpg

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
It has the shape of a carpo but the pattern still looks diffrent. Here are more updated videos.

[video=youtube;d1Rf645Bv24]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1Rf645Bv24[/video]

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
[video=youtube;mMB2BywdPZw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMB2BywdPZw[/video]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store