Question about reef lighting ?

gimmiks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2008
oc
I am currently trying to get into the reef game. My 60g FOWLR tank right now is a little over a year old. The only thing that was holding me back was lighting prices. I was able to buy a used Geisemann Infiniti . It has 2 metal halides and 4 HO T5's . I knew it was a lot of lighting for a 60 gallon that's only about 16 " deep, but i didnt want to ever have the problem of needing more lighting and having to spend again . So my question is if im planning to have softies, ,clams , and lps (if they are capable of living in an aquarium with a canister filter ) what bulbs should i get . My plan right now is to get 3 atinic+ T5's , 1 pure atinic T5, and 2 phoenix 14k metal halides. Im hoping to run the T5's 8 hrs a day and the metal halides about 4 hrs midday. what do you guys think ??

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
What wattage are the halides and t5's? Just from your op it sounds like you would burn the carp out of any softies and lps and probably clams too with your tank only being 16" deep. You are going to have to hang your light a long way above your water level. Definately go phoenix 14k for the halides but I would do a mix of ATI and KZ for your t5's. What's the wattage

Sent from my HTC One V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

gimmiks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2008
oc
What wattage are the halides and t5's? Just from your op it sounds like you would burn the carp out of any softies and lps and probably clams too with your tank only being 16" deep. You are going to have to hang your light a long way above your water level. Definately go phoenix 14k for the halides but I would do a mix of ATI and KZ for your t5's. What's the wattage

My tank is a standard 60gallon , and halides are 250W each x2 and T5 are 54W x4 . also what i was thinking is to put 2 atinic + and 2 aqua blue+ and only turn on halides a few hours per day ??

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
That's way too much light. You would even burn sps. I would only run one of the halides with the t5's if I were you.

gimmiks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2008
oc
That's way too much light. You would even burn sps. I would only run one of the halides with the t5's if I were you.

I did think about that but the halides are on opposite ends of each other .it I turn on only the left one will that be sufficient light for the right side of the tank ???

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
Either upgrade the tank size or downgrade - try to get like 7 watts per gal for the clam and with 500 watts from the MH get a chiller
+1 500w from a halide is going to put out a lot of heat. A chiller might be a pretty good idea.

gimmiks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2008
oc
i will consider a chiller when we get a little closer to summer right now its been cold down here so i think it will be fine ... my lights have an adjustable hanging kit do you think hanging them pretty high up would help ??like maybe 15" from the top of the tank ???

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
i will consider a chiller when we get a little closer to summer right now its been cold down here so i think it will be fine ... my lights have an adjustable hanging kit do you think hanging them pretty high up would help ??like maybe 15" from the top of the tank ???
15 at the minimum I would say

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
to get the in tank lux readings correct you'll need to use a PAR meter - that'll tell you hanging height.

summer winter don't matter 500watts is a heater no the less

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store