The Mediator of your tank

Fish on Fire

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Visalia/Berkeley, California
This obviously only applies to community tanks obviously, but the question is. Who is the fish in your predatory/large fish community that always seems to jump in and break up any fights before they go too far? What species is that fish? Is it the alpha of the tank? Pictures or videos of the fish in action? Experiences and observations of this fish's temperment? Do you have a fish that rarely ever starts fights but always is the one to end them? Would love to hear your experiences and see your fish in action.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
My 2 footers Silver and Clown knife.

No quarrel survives their gliding through, with olhmpic disdain for the contestants :)

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
I have a male midas thats around 2yo that cant stand the smaller 5" fish bickering. He will swim right between them and mouth at the bully.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
6 years ago i had an african tank,mixed bunch.the chipokea male would always step in to end fights.later with SA community- 3 severums,blue acara,and a bigger (than the rest) male chocolate cichlid-7 inches.would turn on dime to break up fights or just bull rush others,but not do any damage to his tankmates

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I had a Tanganyikan Tilapia that was about twelve inches in length.It would jump right in and chase other fish around for a little bit if it caught them squabbling.It would also chase other fish away from the floating pellets until it's had it's fill.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mr.bigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2012
By SF, Farther Inland, NorCal
Hmmm... maybe a parrot fish? He was hecka mean. He wouldnt tolerate any other agression. He wouldnt attack anybody but he would chase the bully around the tank so much the bully almost died of stress. My datnoid was the bully, he got pissed off at my ebjd who was trying to breed with his girl. Then the parrot fish swooped in and cornered the dat, scared him ****less. you could see the fear on his face. And then i gave away the parrot fish because the lfs wouldnt give me credit. Then i walk in the next week and the greedy SOB wants 100$ for the parrot fish they couldnt even give me a dollar in credit for!!? I wasnt pissed so much as my mom was. She was ticked! She threatened to never come back. Of course we were there 3 days later for some fertz. LOL.

cichlid_obsessed92

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2012
lowell, massachusetts
Hmmm... maybe a parrot fish? He was hecka mean. He wouldnt tolerate any other agression. He wouldnt attack anybody but he would chase the bully around the tank so much the bully almost died of stress. My datnoid was the bully, he got pissed off at my ebjd who was trying to breed with his girl. Then the parrot fish swooped in and cornered the dat, scared him ****less. you could see the fear on his face. And then i gave away the parrot fish because the lfs wouldnt give me credit. Then i walk in the next week and the greedy SOB wants 100$ for the parrot fish they couldnt even give me a dollar in credit for!!? I wasnt pissed so much as my mom was. She was ticked! She threatened to never come back. Of course we were there 3 days later for some fertz. LOL.
If hes selling parrot fish for 100 dollars hes obviously scamming people out of their money

Sent from my Desire HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
My large female Jag. She came in decimated everything in sight and I had to pull her and put her back in isolation for almost 6 months so the others could size up a bit. Once re-introduced, she became the moderator of all skirmishes. When she swims past, everyone is on their best behavior. she never lip locks but she'll flare and everyone cowers.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Thats why most people keep blood parrots, they are exelent at breaking up fights!

Right now for me its basically that my GG has these random moments where he feels like chasing my tinfoils or chocolate cichlid, he just gets bored when he sees something else to chase. I don't have anyone to mediate the fights but on the plus side my GG only bothers those 3 fish. he leaves all my predators and catfish alone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store