Your opinions on fish that can go with a catfish

tpaquette

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2013
Westford mass
I was thinking about getting a catfish. My mind is up in the air right now. I love catfish but want cichlids, so what other fish could i mix in with with the catfish

Sent from my LG-P509 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tpaquette

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2013
Westford mass
Im not even sure. I was thinking about a common lake one. But havent looked into it.. Just was thinking about getting one, and figured id ask you guys

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Most lake catfish can and will eat anything they can fit in their mouths, so, no smaller fish. Lotsa options for larger cichlids though. I house a small army of plecos with my cichlids and they pretty much ignore each other

tpaquette

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2013
Westford mass
This is my first tank. Ever. So will.a catfish be good to start with. And will a lfs carry cat fish?

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
What size is your tank? Ripsaw catfish grow 48" so before you buy one of those what size is your tank? Look at petsmart for a synodontis type catfish. They work well with Africans.

Sent from my LG-P999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Pictus, four line pims, synos ,suncats ,plecos ,hoplo cats all work good with cichlids.

weirdfishlover

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 2, 2010
< The Red Dot >
As opinions by fellow brothers have addressed the tank size and compatibility; I would just like to share mine. I have kept Giraffe Catfish, Oxydoras Niger, Tigrinus Catfish, Vulture Catfish and Capapretum Catfish. I have had no issues mixing them with gars or peacock bass or even ATFs. You just have to mix sure you get the right combination.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store