paddlefish

davidbigreelz

Feeder Fish
Jan 22, 2013
Minnesota, America!
Hey everyone, I was directed here by several other people for a few questions I have. I have been a coral reef keeper for years and am finally making a plunge back to keeping some freshwater species. My wife and I live on some land and this march will be breaking ground on our new "natural swimming pool." It will contain a deep end for swimming that is 25'W by 40'L by 10'deep, and a "beach area" 40' by 35' with an average depth of 30in, and a circle shaped filtration area 25'W in diameter and 30in deep. Into the deep area is a small "stream" flowing 10,000 gph roughly from the filtration area. The bottom of the shallow areas are filled with roughly 18in of crushed gravel.

I have already talked to the hatcheries guys up here and will be placing some golden rainbow trout and maybe some brookies. My questions to you all are, the hatchery guy stated they are licensed to sell paddlefish. The fingerlings are roughly 12-18 inches and 6-8 mo old. He stated they were all accepting of pellet food. Does anyone here have any experience at all with this species??? until yesterday i thought since they are listed as endangered and grow so big that it didn't even come to mind as a possibility.

Also, since i am here, does anyone have any suggestions on other cold water fish that could survive a Mn winter?

biguebs

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Well I wish you luck, I wish I had the resources to set something like that up!

I didn't think that paddlefish would be available due to being endangered as you said, and I haven't ever seen them mentioned on here. But I'm sure someone has some relevant input (I'll be following this thread out of curiosity).

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
Hatcheries here in Indiana have them too! I was looking to get one in my backyard pond also. I believe they are filter feeders so they won't eat other fish. They just get really big lol

Sent from my VS910 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
i am in mn aswell. paddlefish are availible and you can buy them. i was wondering what hatery you talked with? i have talked to several and all have told me they dont want to sell to a private hobbiest. i would assume from the list it was mckenzie.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I would love to have that opportunity!

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
Jones fish hatcheries have them. They have a store near me and I'm pretty sure they have multiple locations. Check their web site

Sent from my VS910 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

danrawl29

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2012
Milwaukee
Ive spoken with the curator of the Milwaukee County Zoo about paddlefish. From what I gathered it sounds like you would have to move him out of there when he gets too. Since he would be pellet trained a wild release would not be recommended. These fish never stop swimming (they're filter feeders)

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I used to get them in MN when I was up there. You'll need a way to keep the water above about 50F all year to keep them outside - which is a HUGE speed bump to an outdoor pond.
Check with the current laws. When I was up there you also needed to have a permit to buy/have them from MN DNR...not just the permit to sell them. Just because he can sell legally doesn't mean you can buy legally.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store