Alligator Gar Temperature

Cactuschicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Oregon
Hey everyone, I apologize if this is in the wrong category for this question, but is 61-64 degrees Fahrenheit okay for alligator gar? Any help about this is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Matt S

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
Mass
All my gators have been with other tropicals so my tank is alway at 74 to 80 degrees and all of my gars have always thrived and grew very quickly and thick as far as 61 to 64 I don't know cause my tanks are never that low I would think they could handle it just because they are very resilient fish but I'm not saying yes that it will be okay I'd wait and see if others comment if no one else comments then I know 70 degrees or higher will be okay for him

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Their original range in the u.s. was very very vast until they were slaughtered in the 50's. Im in ohio and they ust to b very common in the ohio river which recieves snow. I have 5 gators and keep them all around 70-78 degrees. Just because they could tolerate the colder temps doesnt mean its best. 68 degrees should b the lowest temp for them id guess....their range now is somewhat south...texas, lousiana, florida, kentucky which all have a fairly warm seasonal temp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tnvol

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2013
Portland
I've seen them thrive in the nastiest, warmest rivers and feeder creeks as well as cold brackish water. I don't think you can kill them if you try.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Agreed there def. Tough as nails...kinda y i love em hah...
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store