Any experience with Krylon Fusion paint...on the water side of the glass?

chiroken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2012
Vancouver Island, BC Canada
I've got a large tank that I want to paint the back side black. I would typically roll a couple of coats of black marine enamel on the exterior of the glass. I have 2 large overflows that the previous owner covered with blue plexiglass (not removable). I was going to re-cover the blue plexi with black plexi at a cost of $45+. A fellow I know has used Krylon Fusion spray paint on the water side apparently with no problems. I would like to know if anyone else has used this product? It is supposed to be fully chip resistent after 7 days drying. My concern is if it flakes off over time or if it will peel/flake when using one of the plastic scrubbies for cleaning. Being these are the overflows I don't really plan on doing much surface cleaning of them anyways.

Would you do gloss or satin finish?

This is the product link: http://www.krylon.ca/ca/eng/products/fusion_for_plastic/

Thanks,

Ken

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
I've done it with a blue back acrylic tank before. To preventing the chipping of the paint, you got to sand the area you want to paint. Clean it and spray.

Sent from my Nokia 5165

chiroken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2012
Vancouver Island, BC Canada
I've done it with a blue back acrylic tank before. To preventing the chipping of the paint, you got to sand the area you want to paint. Clean it and spray.

Sent from my Nokia 5165
The current overflows are covered with a shiny/glossy blue acrylic. So you suggest this is what should be sanded/roughed up so that the krylon makes a better bond? (just want to confirm). What grit sandpaper did you use? Just enough to take off the shine or was it really roughened up?

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
The current overflows are covered with a shiny/glossy blue acrylic. So you suggest this is what should be sanded/roughed up so that the krylon makes a better bond? (just want to confirm). What grit sandpaper did you use? Just enough to take off the shine or was it really roughened up?
100grit then 200 grit then spray just so it will bond better.

Sent from my Nokia 5165

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
100grit then 200 grit then spray just so it will bond better.
X2

But I would still expect chips in the future; don't get me wrong, this is a great product. I use it on all of my in tank plumbing but even after a a good sanding and 7 days of dry time I still have one or two small chips around the areas where the suction cups holders are located.

I would also suggest using a sponge on it vs pot scrubbies for cleaning; the less abrasive the better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store