Well crap... planaria!

rich_one

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Southern Maryland
Planaria! In the new tank??? Maybe I didn't rinse the used substrate well enough? Okay... anyway to kill the dang things? Geez... no fish in it yet.

-Rich

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Its normally from over feeding... So not sure what to tell you?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rich_one

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Southern Maryland
duke33, I appreciate the advice. Problem is, there are no fish in the tank yet, so you understand if I am somewhat perplexed at how I am to quit overfeeding fish that are not yet in the tank?

At any rate, its used substrate, so I suspect they must have been in there, and I didn't rinse it sufficiently. you guys think even my monster viejas will eat them?

-Rich

duke33

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 18, 2007
WV
Oh...Well, assuming you are going to add smaller fish, wait and see. I don't know what to tell you after that. I've had turtles and smaller fish love them.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
It's from leaving uneaten food in the gravel or substrate which can come from overfeeding, many people overfeed but keep up on cleaning and never have planaria!

If there is no food source for them they will die.

Go S.Vettel #1 RB8 3X WDC!!!!!!!!!

Well, I just learned something useful on this site...there's a first! KAKAAAAW! ON IT.
>http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?504763-Cheap-plants-less-nitrate!-POTHOS

rich_one

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Southern Maryland
Okay, cool. Thanks, guys. Looks like this means I simply did a poor job at cleaning the gravel before putting it in the tank. I'll leave it empty for another week then. They should be dead by then, I hope.

-Rich

rich_one

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Southern Maryland
Thanks, Kevin... will give it a try. Not super worried, but just plain don't like 'em! About how much salt would you recommend for a 210 gallon tank?

-Rich

theyangman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I table spoon per 5 gallons. So for you 42 table spoons.

For an amount that large I got out my blender. Put like 10 table spoons in. Add super hot water and blend. When all the salt is dissolved pout it into your tank and repeat. You could start with less salt if you had too though. Maybe half dosage.

The hot water is only to help the salt dissolve faster and easier than with cold tap water and considering you have no fish in there yet the temp shouldnt make a difference.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store