diy canister filter?

unstopable4700

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
indiana
so some of you know i need filtration for my 300. was going to go wet dry heck i still might but have some issues with it. noise, water splashing, evaporation, this will be in my living room so it cant be purely functional. the wife must aprove or ill be sleeping in it. so long story short had some beers lat night and came up with this. any reason why it shouldnt be effective

fishy 007.jpg

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Oddball;660189; said:
You'll need to make a few changes and take some precautions constructing your own canister. Or, you can get a system that won't force you to reinvent the wheel.

:iagree: , First off don't write after a couple of beers :D .

Second, your going to definately want the check valves. Use clamps if using barb hose fittings.

The nice part about the system Oddball referenced is you can purchase it piece buy piece and still use it during that time.

BUT, if you want a DIY project, go for it... Just make sure the pump can handle 10ft of head plus the frictional losses of the filter material and be capable of atleast a 8x turn-over after the above losses.

And you have to take pix and post if you do it (no beer while taking pix).

Dr Joe

unstopable4700

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
indiana
the drawing was a very basic dipiction of my plan. the real question was if it would be effective enough as far as biological removal of nitrates. also will the areation in the tube help or be useless pain in the a@$. i thought it sounded like a heck of a plan.

unstopable4700

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
indiana
dr. joe was that a crack about my hand writing cause that was stick sober this after noon:D

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
it wont remove nitrates and a wet dry done right is quite mine cant be heard unless you open the door. you might be better off with system oddball referenced or going with a couple larger canisters

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
unstopable4700;660401; said:
the drawing was a very basic dipiction of my plan. the real question was if it would be effective enough as far as biological removal of nitrates. also will the areation in the tube help or be useless pain in the a@$. i thought it sounded like a heck of a plan.
It's not that much of a pain if your handy, Using the proper materials so that it gets sealed for pressure is the biggest concern (if output would clog, back pressure build up etc)

unstopable4700;660426; said:
dr. joe was that a crack about my hand writing cause that was stick sober this after noon:D
Sorry 'bout your luck, it will get back to normal when the cast is off awhile :ROFL:

unstopable4700;660449; said:
why wont it? its basically a contained wet/dry
Ok, here's the only flaw and I'm going to give you the secret answer so promise not to tell anyone else...ok?...ok.

Air bubbles rise immediately...so no dry (or drip) part to your design... Secret solution...Use several lengths (3ft for your design) of air bubbler hose and put it along the bottom of the first 3ft of the pvc pipe with suction cups or silicone it in (like I did). You will need a strong pump to push as much air as the bubble hose will take for the full length of the hose (note it is possible to blow hose apart!). Then place the scrubbies on top ( air splashes water up onto the scrubbies (this unit does not get filled completely withwater) to complete the dry part of your pseudo W/D filter. Oh yea...lift the input end about 2"-3" and allow for a pressure relief for the air you just pumped in without squirting water everywhere (didn't think I waas going to tell you everything did you :D )

Keep us posted,

Dr Joe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store