First nano-reef build

Rhodes09

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Hey guys, so recently I just started my first nano-reef tank as a 29g BioCube and wanted to share the experience with any and all interested. I'm currently a senior at the University of Rhode Island studying aquaculture (as it should be), this is my first reef and it been a roller coaster already. Ordered the tank online for $188, and have exceeded the $500 easily by this point, but worth every penny. With 22lbs of dead rock, 15lbs of live rock and another 25lbs of live sand and limitless dedication the result was a simple but elegant start to my my marine ecosystem.
photo (16).JPG

photo (16).JPG

Rhodes09

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
After replacing the bio-balls with crushed live rock, and adding the initial buffers, inverts (hermits), etc., the cycle jump started within the first week giving me incredible diatom growth after only 48 hours of having the tank up and running...
photo (17).JPG

photo (17).JPG

Rhodes09

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Over the next 3 weeks i monitored my parameters, while making additions to the tank including ( Peppermint Shrimp, a Sand-Sifting Star, Mexican Turbo Snails, a Haitian Purple-Tip Anemone, as well as the first fin-fish being a Melanurus Wrasse ) with the result looking something like this..
photo (13).JPG

photo (13).JPG

Rhodes09

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Today I was able to attain a Tiger Sleeper Goby (among other names) which was the top species on my list of desired gobies, from my LFS against all odds, for dirt cheap. I snapped a couple good shot of the two fish together before the wrasse burrowed for the night, so all comments/concerns are encouraged as MFK is my #1 source for answers to all my aquatic questions. Looking forward to hearing what others think!!
View attachment 872812View attachment 872813

mattstevens1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2012
deer park ny
Looks great just watch out for the starfish. Mine caused a lot of problems in my tank. They look to borrow in the sand and eat all your good bacteria which caused my tank to basically crash!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mr.bigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2012
By SF, Farther Inland, NorCal
Looks great just watch out for the starfish. Mine caused a lot of problems in my tank. They look to borrow in the sand and eat all your good bacteria which caused my tank to basically crash!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Really? I didnt know that... does this apply to all starfish? I was originally planning on getting a nice blue one but definitely not if this is true.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store