Turning an old bath tub into an pond!!

STONEDFISH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
My buddy has this old claw-foot bath tub. It measures over 5 1/2 feet long inside lip to lip, over 28 inches wide, and about 20 inches deep. We cleaned it up, bought some pond liner, and we are in the process of putting it all together. We plan on using a 350 gph canister filter, and two big heaters to keep the water nice. We are going to put my silver arowana in there and build a screen canopy so he won't jump out. We actually want to build it up a few feet so he can jump. It will kind of look like a big bird cage until you walk up and see its a screened-in pond. Do you all think that filter and heater will work? I don't really know how many gallons it is.
STNDFSH:D

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
should work with no problems what size watts on the heaters as long as it is just the aro and no extreme bio load that canister will work post some pics up good luck with the project

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
If you fill it to those dimensions you got 160g.

Swimming pool or fountain lighting are your best bets.

Dr Joe

MistirE

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Hawaii
Sounds like a nice space for an arowana...happy fish!

doubledragon

The House Of Endlie
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2006
ohio
That's cool you already have such a strong frame to work with, that takes a lot of work out of the whole process.

DUTCHTHUGLIFE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Australia, Perth
STONEDFISH;660960; said:
My buddy has this old claw-foot bath tub. It measures over 5 1/2 feet long inside lip to lip, over 28 inches wide, and about 20 inches deep. We cleaned it up, bought some pond liner, and we are in the process of putting it all together. We plan on using a 350 gph canister filter, and two big heaters to keep the water nice. We are going to put my silver arowana in there and build a screen canopy so he won't jump out. We actually want to build it up a few feet so he can jump. It will kind of look like a big bird cage until you walk up and see its a screened-in pond. Do you all think that filter and heater will work? I don't really know how many gallons it is.
STNDFSH:D
That sounds good :nilly:

Westie

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2008
Bay Area CA USA
My house came with a broken jakuzzi I turned into a fish pond. Its weird but cool and I like it. Thats all that matters. That and its deep enough the racoons can't get to the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store