Adding new filter to Established tank?

Jamesy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2012
My current 20g saltwater tank that has 4 and a half - 5 Kilos (10 Pounds) of live rock with 2 corals and inverts has been established for about a year now, I don't run any filter but I do water changes twice weekly, And the tank is quite clean and the corals are very healthy.

I'm looking to add a Marineland Penguin 350-B Hang on Filter To my tank but I don't want it to cycle again.... Especially with the corals in it. Is there ANY way to add a new filter to a tank with it causing another cycle?

I've read up that with enough Live rock (Which is basically another form of filtration) can stop the New filter from cycling again... Am I wrong? I need help. Thanks!

Jamesy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2012
So what do you suggest? What does everyone suggest?

kasaki89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2010
hamilton
how would adding a new filter cause a cycle to begin ? your not adding anything live that would cause anything to start one, your just adding a mechanical filter to help the existing one,

jtietz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2012
pa
i hate hang on back filters for saltwater. its a crash waiting to happen. nitrate trap then when you go to clean it booom. go with a hang on back protein skimmer or a sump/refuge and protein skimmer. i prefer the sump the more water the more stable

Jamesy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2012
i hate hang on back filters for saltwater. its a crash waiting to happen. nitrate trap then when you go to clean it booom. go with a hang on back protein skimmer or a sump/refuge and protein skimmer. i prefer the sump the more water the more stable
I'll be saving up for a HOB Protein Skimmer as well

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store