From 10G to 75G

Relheok

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Northeast Kingdom, VT
So my Oscar has been moved from my 10G to the 75G and what a difference. He swims constantly now and seems so much healthier (color etc.) The Pleco has been staying put under the rock but they seem to be loving the new setup. I feel bad for leaving them in the 10G so long (Oscar is 7 inches and Pleco is 6") My next order of business is a canister filter. I hear all kinds of horror stories about flooding and leaks. What's everyone's opinion on Canister filters and what I should be looking at for my 75G. Thanks

cali~budfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Sacramento
Damn bro a 7" Oscar in a ten gallon lol. I'm not gonna hate on you for it we all have put off upgrades before. Canister filters are pretty good these days. I have a fluval 406 and it as a valve that cuts the syphon and then you can disconnect the lines. No mess and easy to clean and slap back together. Just depends on what you want. Oscars are messy as I'm sure you know so I would oversize your filter. Eheim is a good quality filter too. I would avoid buying from a major chain store cuz they're usually over priced. Look online for the best deal or your lfs. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

KrazEDesigns

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2012
Canada
I'm running an Eheim Pro 3e 2078 on my 75g goldfish aquarium with 3 pretty big guys who are over 8½ yrs old (1) & over 6 yrs old (2) with a BN Pleco.

My only advice is if you choose to go Eheim, unless you will actually use the features available on the electronic models AND the place you purchase it from includes the proprietary USB connector, stick with the classic models.

Endo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
So Cal
If your worried about canisters, then just run 2x Ac110s and maybe a powerhead and you'll be set.

I hear Api Rena's are easy to maintain, but if you want a good bang for your 75 then get a fluval Fx5. Fluval makes quality products, I own a G3 and its excellent on my 40b.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Although a bit less sightly (imo), you could go with HOB filters as stated, otherwise for canisters, just go with bigger more reliable brands...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fhawk362

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2009
Royal palm beach, FL
I've actually heard good things about the sunsun canister filters, and they're quite affordable on amazon. Other routes would be make your own filter, you can get decent sized pumps these days for cheap, check out harbor freight or go online and we have plenty of designs on our diy section for making filters. The two ac 110s will serve you well and if on a budget I feel two ac70s will get the job done especially if you have a powerhead for some current.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I've actually heard good things about the sunsun canister filters, and they're quite affordable on amazon. Other routes would be make your own filter, you can get decent sized pumps these days for cheap, check out harbor freight or go online and we have plenty of designs on our diy section for making filters. The two ac 110s will serve you well and if on a budget I feel two ac70s will get the job done especially if you have a powerhead for some current.
Its funny how the SunSun brand gets held in such high regard in the US, almost all the store owners in HK LFS' laugh at that little fact... hell even the store owners here recommend Ehiem and the other brands due to them not trusting SunSun products for long term use...

Relheok

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Northeast Kingdom, VT
Its funny how the SunSun brand gets held in such high regard in the US, almost all the store owners in HK LFS' laugh at that little fact... hell even the store owners here recommend Ehiem and the other brands due to them not trusting SunSun products for long term use...
I think they are happy due to the "bang for the buck". Eheim is probably a better product but costs how much more? Toyota vs. BMW

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store