New 55 gallon soon to be reef!

Athleticfisherman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
Canada
I'm buying a FO tank with two clowns, one yellow tang, a Molly and a few shrimp and will turn it into a FOWLR and hopefully not too long after into a reef tank! If anyone has any stock ideas ( corals, inverts or fish ) let me know! :) any info and advice will really help me out

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ptrick125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown Texas
I know but I had bought the tank with the fish already purchased

It would be a good thing to trade in for other fish. As for other fish, gobies, blennies, smaller wrasses, and cardinalfish are great fish for a 55 gallon for a "nooby"

I would get a peppermint shrimp or a coral banded shrimp. (I have both in my 75 gallon reef) Cleaner shrimp are also a good option.

Zoanthids, mushrooms, Kenya trees, and green star polyps are great corals for beginners, they don't require much light and don't "have" to be fed. I currently have all of those in my 75 gallon reef.

Athleticfisherman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
Canada
It would be a good thing to trade in for other fish. As for other fish, gobies, blennies, smaller wrasses, and cardinalfish are great fish for a 55 gallon for a "nooby"

I would get a peppermint shrimp or a coral banded shrimp. (I have both in my 75 gallon reef) Cleaner shrimp are also a good option.

Zoanthids, mushrooms, Kenya trees, and green star polyps are great corals for beginners, they don't require much light and don't "have" to be fed. I currently have all of those in my 75 gallon reef.

Will a sand anemone be a good choice as well?

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
I have no experience with nems, but I believe most get HUGE. If you really want something with lots if tentacles get a frogspawn, they are really fun and cool.

Ptrick125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown Texas
Will a sand anemone be a good choice as well?

I would try to wait a few months before attempting and anemone, and even if you buy one, there is a chance the clowns won't host it...

For your setup a bubble tip anemone would probably be your best bet. You could try a condylactus, but they move a lot, get hosted the least, and tend to sting the tank mates.

Athleticfisherman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
Canada
I would try to wait a few months before attempting and anemone, and even if you buy one, there is a chance the clowns won't host it...

For your setup a bubble tip anemone would probably be your best bet. You could try a condylactus, but they move a lot, get hosted the least, and tend to sting the tank mates.

I have a purple tip anemone available for 45$ should I go for it?

Ptrick125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown Texas

Athleticfisherman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
Canada
$35-$55 is about the average price of bubble tips where I live... It's an ok price, but I would risk it yet.

Ok, I'm getting my 100 gallon protein skimmer Monday and with it about 25 pounds of live rock. Ill get the rest of my live Rock when I get my next pay. Will only having half of the live rock needed do anything?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store