Gars Growth Rate

Leo Fragoso

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2013
Belo Horizonte (MG) - Brazil
Hi Guys. Since this is an american fish I belive it's more common in your tanks. I am fascinated by it but right know I can only aford a 176 gallon tank. I know it needs more but I also know that inspite the very young growing to a rate of 0,9mm a day, there is a time that it reaches some sort of plateau (acctually it's note that it stops grwoing but the growth rate decreses). My question is how long could I keep a pair of gars in a 176 g before I have to update it?)

Leo Fragoso

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2013
Oh, ok (I think the species is important, my bed hehe). It is Lepisosteus oculatus. Atractosteus spatula shows up in Brazil from time to time, but I would have to be crazy or have money for a small lake to try that one. The tank is 51,18 in x 23,62 in x 31,5 in.

Dubeckyj

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2011
Canada
Oh, ok (I think the species is important, my bed hehe). It is Lepisosteus oculatus. Atractosteus spatula shows up in Brazil from time to time, but I would have to be crazy or have money for a small lake to try that one. The tank is 51,18 in x 23,62 in x 31,5 in.
I'd be very surprised if you could get a L. Oculatus in Brazil considering how uncommon they are in the US. The more common L. Platyrhincus plateaus around 22-30cm, and may be fine for life in that tank. A footprint of 60"x24" is recommended, although I don't see 9" in length being a deal-breaker.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
as stated it is 99.9% a florida your trying for. get them. they will be fine in that 62"x31.5 for life. you could have a pair and be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Leo Fragoso

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2013
I'd be very surprised if you could get a L. Oculatus in Brazil considering how uncommon they are in the US. The more common L. Platyrhincus plateaus around 22-30cm, and may be fine for life in that tank. A footprint of 60"x24" is recommended, although I don't see 9" in length being a deal-breaker.
Really?!! That tranquilizes me a bit, because he is a little smaller.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
you can keep a pair of florida gars.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store