More than one african brown knife?

Tiller11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2012
Kansas, United States
From what ive gathered about any knife fish they will get a long for a lil when they are young but once they get bigger they will begin to fight. So i would say no but if u have an extra tank or somethin u could try n if they start to fight move one and sell it or somethin....

Sent from my SPH-D710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishman61

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2009
MO
I agree, they become very territorial when they mature, the same goes with certain plecos

cichlid_obsessed92

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2012
lowell, massachusetts
Every knife I've owned including abk have started out great and not bothered tankmates and then one day they decide there mike tyson's offspring and challenges all my fish lol

Sent from my Desire HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jschall

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2009
Chico, California
So this is looking like not a good idea.

Is there a slightly larger species of knifefish that would be good for a 150 gallon? ABKs are pretty small.

Ideally from africa.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
There's another species of Knife from Africa, P. Afer. However, they are a lot more aggressive. If you want to keep the African theme, why not just stick with one ABK?

shipmonkey

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2010
US of A
I know the thread is a little old, but African brown Knifes do great in schools. The main idea though is that you have to have school. Two doesn't work nor does four, but nine or ten works fine. I keep a school of ten in a 240g. The school started with six and I have added the extras over the last couple years. Even new much smaller knifes are quickly accepted into the school.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I know the thread is a little old, but African brown Knifes do great in schools. The main idea though is that you have to have school. Two doesn't work nor does four, but nine or ten works fine. I keep a school of ten in a 240g. The school started with six and I have added the extras over the last couple years. Even new much smaller knifes are quickly accepted into the school.
That must have been an awesome sight. Any chance you have a picture?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store