Blue-Green Algae Removal?

mr.bigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2012
By SF, Farther Inland, NorCal
Blue-Green algae is technically a bacteria and my 20g convict cichlid breeding tank is having an outbreak. How do i get rid of it?

Tank is filtered by a 30g rated aqueon hob. Tank has a pothos plant on it that is growing very, very rapidly now. Tank has play sand and a ceramic cave with fake plants and a ton of live floating watersprite.

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
Do you have lights running ?? If you do, turn them off for a few days. It will be gone then.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I was going to ask about lighting.

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
Yes i do, their only on for like 8 hours though and its just a crappy 12 watt t8 light. Its directly in front of a window, it has a black background blocking out most of the light. Still turning off the lights wont work imo.
I had the same problem a few years ago in a heavily planted tank, it too was near a window and got a little bit of natural light. I simply turned the lights off for 4 days and the algae was gone. Simple as that. Maybe do a water change at the same time.

Now that being said, you asked us on the forum for some help, and I told you what I did to eradicate the problem. I DON'T CARE WHAT YOUR OPINION IS !!! IF YOU AREN"T GOING TO LISTEN TO WHAT EXPERIENCED, MATURE FISHKEEPERS HAVE TO TELL YOU, DON'T ASK US FOR DIRECTION !!!

goosej13

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
Canada
@robmcd --- your a dick

@ Mr bigglesworth--- Can you introduce CAE's into the tank?? I did that and it cleared ALOT of my issues up... I have my lights on 8 hours a day and turning them off for any longer seemed sad to me because I want to see the fish through out the day... lol.. SO i got some fish that would allow that

Citrinellus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
@robmcd --- your a dick

@ Mr bigglesworth--- Can you introduce CAE's into the tank?? I did that and it cleared ALOT of my issues up... I have my lights on 8 hours a day and turning them off for any longer seemed sad to me because I want to see the fish through out the day... lol.. SO i got some fish that would allow that
The chinese algae eaters would most likely eat the convict eggs.

Algae occurs for mainly two reasons:
1. Excess nutrients and phosphates from uneaten food.
2. From leaving the lights on for long periods.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store