Ultra High Tech 300 gallon Discus install journal

rbarn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2013
Texas
Stumbled across this forum doing some research for my current project and figured I would share my current money pit.

Goal is to build the best tank that time and money can make and have it last 20+ years with little to maintenance and back ups for the back ups for the back ups. Total cost will push $100/gallon after its all said and done.

The whole system will be made as hands off as possible. The water changes will all be automatic with multiple drains incorporated into the system for easy cleaning and waste removal. Tank will be whisper quiet in the main room with all the pumps and filter system in a near by sunroom.

Tank: 300 gallon - 96" X 24" X 27" tall custom built with Starfire front glass, dual overflows in each corner with 4x 1" bulk head openings each.

Lighting: 100% Ecoxotic LED's
3x - 100w Cannons - 12k
4x - 48" - 24W stunner strips in magenta/12k combo
4x - 13W freshwater panorama modules / 6,700k/453blue combo

Control/Monitoring: Neptune Systems APEX controller.
PH/Co2 injection, light dimming, pump control, alarm sensors, lots of ideas floating around

Filtration: Custom sump with fluidized K1 system.

UV: True pathogen killing UV set up. 4x 40w UV sterilizers will make the tank water literally drinkable.

I have been working on this for almost a year and half so far. Loooong way to go.

Stand is made out of 2X6 studs and a 2X10 double beam running over the front openings.

Months of work and contractors and you get this

Part of the first filter system that I am now going to totally re-do.

Digital flow meters will take all guess work out of how much water is moving through then system.
You dont want to know how much those cost

Plumbing partially done being run from under tank, through 2 walls and out to the sunroom

Been working on the lighting system lately

Lights are mounted to hvy duty curtain track and 5/16" bolts. Worked really good.

Trying to get the LED power supplies and APEX control boxes mounted to boards that will go up on the wall behind the lights

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Very nice :thumbsup: Looking forward to updates.

Oh and welcome to MFK

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Good work! Subscribed...

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah