Driftwood feels a bit slimy/ ID this driftwood?

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
So I spent $30 on one piece of branched driftwood from one of my LFSs (who i have been displeased with more and more as of recently and think i need a new store) a few weeks ago and cut it to make 2 pieces. Well I was rearranging some plants and decorations and had to temporarily move the branches. They feel a bit slimy. The other pieces of driftwood I have in there are mopani and don't feel slimy at all. There is no visible slime, so I know it is not the usual white fungus suspect some pieces of driftwood get. I have actually had that in previous pieces of mopani driftwood that comes from Petco and Petsmart.

Anyways, I am just curious if there is something coming from this driftwood that could be dangerous to my fish? And can anyone identify this type of wood? The response I got at the store was simply that it was "regular driftwood".

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1359775963.895314.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1359775979.708482.jpg

Owain4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
amongst the trees
Maybe looks like manzita? could just be a dried dead stick that someone found. My driftwood always gets slimy over time, its just algae growing on the wood. I would not worry about anything bad happening to your fish. Driftwood is usually good for fish

Skittle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2012
PA
Cool peices sorry i cant id best gess would be manzanita but most drifteood will get slimy and ime it goes away with time and my plecos love it. However runnin it under bery hot water and scrubbin it with a wire brush gets it off ime

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store