Is insulating a tank worth the trouble?

gutted

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
Do you think it'd make a difference if you put styrofoam on the back, bottom and side glasses to hold heat in? Or would it not make much of a difference since the front and top aren't covered?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; A couple of things come to mind. First is the location of the tank(s). If in a portion of the house that you do not normally heat for your own comfort like a garage or basement, then any insulation should help.
If in a part of the house where you live, then the heat that radiates from the tank(s) will become a part of the ambient room temperature. This may be a a more expensive type of heat depending on the effeciency of the house heat compared to the electric resistance heat from most tank heaters.

If the issue is that the heaters in use will not maintain the desired temp of the tank(s), then any insulation should help. As stated a fairly tight or insulated top cover will be a benefit as well.

No way of knowing if it will be worth it to you. When I had some tanks in a basement, I enclosed the area around the tanks and found this to be a help. I simply hung tarps from the floor joists around the tanks and made a door way with some light blankets. I could feel a noteably warmer temp inside the enclosed area.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I started insulating tanks years ago to stabilize temps, and found my energy bill also went down in winter. It also helps in the event of a power outage, takes longer for the tanks to cool down.

gutted

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
Ill definitely be giving it a try. Thanks.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mutt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2013
Evansville, IN
If its outside of the home in a garage you can build a makeshift room around it with 2x4's or even pvc and tarping, if you can keep the temp around the aquarium stable it helps, as does insulating what glass you can and of course lids to keep evaporation rates low!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store