datinoid questions.

BostonPatriot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2005
boston
So I have a Datinoid that is 2 1/2" maybe 3" long. Really nice looking fish but it seems to have gotten more and more skittish over the 2 weeks that I have had it. It hides most of the time and I am concerned because I never see it eat any of the food that I am putting in. I checked my water levels and they are all in check. Is it normal for this fish to be so shy and will it "outgrow" this behavior as it grows? Do they prefer a certain food?(I am feeding a frozen mix that I bought from the pet store.) Thanks for any info you may have.

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
They are pretty shy at small sizes . It all depends too on how big its tankmates are and the size of the tank. Adding broad leave plants will help it feel more secure.

BostonPatriot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2005
boston
redtailfool said:
They are pretty shy at small sizes . It all depends too on how big its tankmates are and the size of the tank. Adding broad leave plants will help it feel more secure.
Hey Redtail,
Well the tankmates are all smaller than him. (not small enough to fit in his mouth though) The tank is a 75 gallon. I only have some light vegitation with a couple rocks and a cave. Maybe I will try putting in some more foliage. Thanks for the tip.

cuban jey

"tha movement you bastards"
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2005
Tampa Bay
dats are pretty much secretive fish more so at that size if you wanna see it crank up throw in some ghostshrimp or rosie reds also you could add 3 more i say 3 more cuz they'll even out a pecking order if you only add 2 more the agression wont be spread out as evenly...........(edited) aaaaaahhhhhhh redtail you are a fast one my son

BostonPatriot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2005
boston
How long will it take for it to outgrow a 75? I am assuming more would make the tank too cramped down the road?

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
If you add more tankmates they will be even more secretive... There will be a dominant one that always shows up and the other 2 would pretty much be in a head down position or hiding among the shadows.

Good tip on the dither fish . Also , how long have you had the datnoid? maybe its just new and your lighting is too bright? This has happened a lot of times to myself
and friends .Bright lighting scares them and it takes a while for them to get used to it.

BostonPatriot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2005
boston
Yeah it's only been a couple of weeks. I am just concerned because I don't want the thing to starve itsel and die.

BostonPatriot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2005
boston
M|L said:
here's a tip:

add a big school of barbs in there. :)
Yeah I put in 6 giant danios, 6 regular danios and 6 of some sort of "redtail albino tetra" of some kind. For some reason all 6 of the regular danios are amongst the missing. :)

cuban jey

"tha movement you bastards"
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2005
Tampa Bay
BostonPatriot said:
Yeah it's only been a couple of weeks. I am just concerned because I don't want the thing to starve itsel and die.
throw him some ghostshrimp he'll tear em up when the lights are off

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store