My freshwater snails surviving in saltwater?

slick Nic the Ruls

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2011
Omaha
I have been doing freshwater tanks for about 13 years now. I recently saved a couple of green spotted puffers from an inhumane toilet flushing from someone who did not want them anymore. Upon researching them, i found out that they star out freshwater but go to full marine, so i decided to set up a marine tank. I had been slowly adding salt to their 20 gallon hex. I had been feeding them snails from my freshwater setup. I finally set up a 75 gallon for them which they are in now, and i salted up the 20 gallon to full marine so i could get some live rock and organisms going to use it as a fuge/filter tank when the 75 gets up to full marine. I did not know that there had been some snails who had managed to avoid the puffers and had burrowed into the sand. The morning after salting the water in the 20gal to full marine, i noticed about 6 of them sticking up out of the sand, all hanging out of their shells and looking dead. I thought "oh, poor guys", but i left them in there as a means of producing a small amount of ammonia/starter bacteria to the tank. It has been 2 weeks now, and not only did all of them eventually go back in their shells, but one of them is actually eating the coralline algae from one of the rocks! I am absolutely blown away that it could not only survive but be eating and crawling around. Anyone else ever had this happen?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store