Been considering a florida for years. Still no go?

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
Hi,

I have been considering keeping a gar for a few years now, but for one reason or the other... in many many years of fish keeping I never had the adequate available tank

Right now I have the following tanks (l-w-h).

- CA cichlid comm + rtg aro,flagtail and panaque - 10´x4´x28";
- "asian theme" (clown loaches, bala sharks and fire eel) 80x20x24";
- festae pair and dithers 72x20x24";
- empty 4x2x28"

I would really like to keep a gar and florida would be my best bet (better beginner gar and the only available one in my whereabouts..), but, according to what I have been reading here:

- the empty 4x2x28" is too small to keep him for life (even if alone);
- the 10x4x28" has CA cichlids, a rtg aro and a flagtail, so it´s not suitable;
- the other 2 tanks are not even an option

Is this a no, no? Or,

a) I may try the 4x2x28" for life?
b) I may try to put him later in the big tank, despite the CA cichlids, the grown up RTG aro and the (shinning) flagtail?

Help me out guys
Thanks

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
4x2 may or may not house a single flg for life.. would a 6x2 be better? yes.. a 4x2 is what footprint my flg are in atm and my oldest is almost 3yrs now i would guess?

so imo A might work out fine particularly if its species only. personally i would keep at least 2 as while they aren't particulalry schooling fish they do tend to spook less and in general "socialize" my first flg spent alot of time "lurking" until we added more gar to the tank... now you can see them useing the whole tank during any time of the day. and spooking is almost non-existant.

d1rt

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2012
toronto, ontario, CA
my 9" inch florida gar is in a 120 (4x2x2) at the moment and has plenty of space
dont worry about a huge aquarium off the bat. it is reccomended (by some) to slowly progress their tank upwards due to loss of sense of space in a huge tank and running into walls
if you have it in a 4x2, it will be fine for quite a while. growths rates will slow down (depending on each specimen - food, diet, housing all come into factor) at around 10" - 12"
if gar is small, id stick with the 4 x 2. wouldnt want to see it skiddish and hurt itself.

my gar is easily my favorite fish i have kept. all the best to you and your possible new fish

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
Thanks for your repl and advise.
As you may see in another thread, I got a great deal of 7 baby FLG. I have 2 years to think about the final tank. May be this 4x2x2 or another tank to be bought down the road. I have space for it.

d1rt

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2012
toronto, ontario, CA
do you plan on keeping them all? did not look at other thread.
would be quite a site that is for sure. i love gar tanks.
any plans on bottom feeders or strictly gar?

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
I would like to keep at least 5, but will see down the road.
Could have a couple of bichirs with them or keep alone, depending on the tank I choose for the future

d1rt

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2012
toronto, ontario, CA
the possibilities and ideas i know can be endless. all the best.
i enjoy to keep a few of a species if i have the room and try to keep the nicest looking one or two.
sometimes it is hard to get rid of a fish you have had for years, even months sometimes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store