75 gallon filtration help

lnk89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2012
canada
Hi all,

I currently have a 75 gallon aquarium that is being used as a paludarium that I am planning on turning into a fish tank.

It currently has about 30 gallons of water in it with a land section above. So all my aquarium equipment is for a 30 gallon tank.

Will I need a larger air pump and heater? Should I just buy another heater and use two ? I currently have a eheim 2213 as a filter. Would 2 of those be enough for a 75 gallon tank? I know they are rated for 66 gallons, but the reviews I have read said they don't work for much more than a 30 gallon tank.

Also any ideas on stocking options ? I have always had a smaller tank with smaller fish, but I would like to get something a little bigger and more interesting for this tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Doyle1431

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2009
Mass
Your heater should be 300 watts. Instead of another Eheim maybe go with a Rena xp2. I have 2 on my 75 gallon tank.

onidrase

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2012
Colorado
two eheim 2213's should be enough. I had my 75 filtered on a 2217 just alone just fine before. I prefer running two heaters over one in larger tanks, heats more surface area faster. It's hard to suggest stock in a tank with very little lead on what you want to do, do you have anything in mind?

lnk89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2012
canada
You know I'm not really sure what I want to do with the tank stocking wise. I have always had small tanks with small tetras and stuff like that. So now that I have a larger tank I would like to have at least one larger fish to be the center of the tank and have a few other smaller fish to go with it. I would like something different and interesting. I'm just not sure what that would be yet.

My girlfriends brother in law have a few Birchers and different freshwater eels which are quite interesting, but I think they would try and eat anything else in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

KrazEDesigns

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2012
Canada
Before you decide on a filter, decide on what you plan on stocking it with first. This way when you are certain what you want, you can look at filters that give you the proper turnover rate and you won't waste money on something that can't handle the bio-load

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
It is a good idea to decide what to stock first, different fish require different flow rates and even water quality.
I like to use 2 heaters instead of 1 large one, that way in case 1 gets stuck in the on position, it won't cook your fish.
Or if gets stuck off, the other picks up the slack.

lnk89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2012
canada
Thanks for the help. I think I will go with the two heaters, better safe than sorry. As for stocking, I think I would like a community tank with one larger fish to be the focus. Something interesting and unique. Just not sure what that is yet. Any suggestion on something that can live it's life in a 75 gallon ?

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
sevs are nice and will do fine in a moderatly stocked 75.... I have one in a 75 with a nic and a cross bred con and 8 ba tetras .. it looks ok to me:popcorn:

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
those abbreviations are:severum,convict,nicarensis.they are all in the Cichlid family.maybe start by just going into a good local fish store(LFS) to see your options.take notes on the fish names then google everything you can about those you like.don't impulse buy,because the store might not give you the proper information on maximum size,tankmates,etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store