Bristle worm question

ceejayt2k

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Hi Everyone,
I caught these in my tank and wondered if anyone could identify the type of bristle worm it is. I know 98-99% of bristle worms are harmless to fish but still concerned. I tried looking in the internet but still not sure what type it is.
Will this bristle worm attack my fishes and will it harm my corals? My corals so far looks like they are ok so I am assuming that they are not being attacked. The bristle worms I caught are small right now ranging from 1-2 inches so they are too small to eat the fish. I am really concerned if and when when they get bigger and can cause damage. What type of fishes will eat these guys? Any help / information is helpful. Thanks in advance.

ceejay

bw10.JPG

bw22.JPG

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
my brother's tank was over run with bristleworms when I visited him. we bottled up a sample & took to his SW LFS to identify them as harmless. I bought him a Melanuras Wrasse and it has eaten ALL of them. he loves it too.

Runitis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg,MB, Canada
my brother's tank was over run with bristleworms when I visited him. we bottled up a sample & took to his SW LFS to identify them as harmless. I bought him a Melanuras Wrasse and it has eaten ALL of them. he loves it too.
There are different kinds of bristle worms. Some are harmful and harmful to humans too. Those look the harmless ones though because the bad ones I've researched aare called fire bristleworms or something and have this bright red body with little strips

My fish life is sparked up with Polys :)

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
yeah I know there are harmful kinds. that's why we had a good SW guy look at my brothers'.
I think his wrasse must've thought he'd landed in paradise, feasting on my brothers' tank. my bro had tried everything else to get rid of them. only the wrasse worked.
sometimes it disappears, buried in the sand. beautiful & entertaining fish.

to the OP, only one wrasse per tank. they will fight any other wrasse.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store