7 baby beauties 7 !

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
A friend told me that a small LFS nearby Lisbon had gars. In my country we rarely see them, so I went there to see if it was truth.
Well, I found seven babies that looked really good! the owner told me they had arrived 1 week ago and they were all eating.
I asked him to give them what they were eating and he put 4 pieces of frozen silverslides. After a couple of minutes 3 of them went for the food. Amazing!

When I asked for the price....another wondefull surprise! All 7 costed what I was expecting to pay for one.

I couldn´t resist and brought the all pack home!

These are my first gars after years considering them and reading about. I hope I do things right.

I put them in a small 30g tank (connected to the main system that has around 1000G) as their first growout tank.

Here they are, just a few minutes after they went in:

FTS

and the little gars

One final Q: they were imported from Asia as spotted (ocelatus) but they´re most likely floridas. Do you confirm?

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Yes, Floridas, and nice pick up ! Some of them are SUPER thin - they are pretty delicate at this stage - get them fat to start with.

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
Thanks for the replies!
Floridas confirmed as suspected. I´ll make food available as of today to fatten them up.
Hopefully they´ll look much better in a week or so and I´ll then post some pics tp update this thread

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
Thanks!

Another Q: I´m getting some them some feeders this afternoon.
I have 3 possible species I can get at reasonable prices: neons, guppies and zebra danios. The guppies and danios are captive bred for sure, but this week only the neons are available.

What species would work best as feeders or is it basically the same? Assuming, of course, they´re disease free

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Very nice! and as for the feeders the only thing i would say is shy away from the danios.. they can be nasty lil' buggers and cause stresson the babies.. as for the other 2.. whatever is most cost effective imo would be best.... or if you have teh room setting up a stock-tank ect to breed guppies/QT minnows as they grow.. as they willg row Very fast once feeding.. I would keep feeding the frozen foods along with trying to offer live 24/7 to encourage them to eat anything and everything... but ideally they need access 24/7 to food and live is def the way to go. before people start jumping in saying how horrible feeding live is...

I also found when so small doing frequent 25% wcs helped alot particularly doing them from the top, particulalry if your not doing any surface skimming. spooking is also more common when small... so try and be as "delicate" around the tank ect as possible until they settle in.

btw love the planted set-up.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Congrats

I had mine on floating pellets very quickly. I think you should try it, João.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store