ID these three please

MidWestMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2013
Lancaster, Ohio
My lfs only labels their fish as African cichlids, nothing else, the first pictures fish has become quite the bully, wondering what they are so I can further research the issue. The other two pictured fish seem to be his primary targets. he hasnt hurt any one, just chases em, but out of nearly 30 fish he just chases these two. Why?!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1360132178.311576.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1360132189.043850.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1360132207.840637.jpg

ErnieG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2012
Maryland
Im not an african cichlid expert but the other 2 look similar to the bully in body shape, and the bully may be trying to breed with them and they are not ready.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
The first pic is a melanochromis auratus (excuse spelling) --- extremely agressive mbuna. the other two are pseuda tropheous zebras not sure exact ones. They are mbuna too and can be very agressive also. You need to have 1 male to 4-5 females and plenty of rock work where the ones being chased can hide. The first fish is probally in the top 5 for aggresion. They can be real bastards to other fish.

MidWestMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2013
Lancaster, Ohio
Thanks for the info, there's a lot of cichlids in there, not to sure on male to female ratio but I'm sure the big guy is male, been told his fin spots give it away. Lots of rock too, about 100 dollars worth of Texas holey rock plus more. I'm considering selling him, not much else I can do.

MidWestMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2013
Lancaster, Ohio
Wow, thought I recognized that name you gave me, I have two more of them, the yellow ones with black strips, which in assuming to be the females. If I'm right on that note, this could explain the aggression I'm seeing out of the big guy.

StevieTheG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2012
New Jersey
the second is a red top ice blue mbuna. they are neat. the first looks mostly like an auratus but it couldddd be a chipokae, not sayin it is. they're the same family and look almost identical. my chipokae looks just like that. not sure what the last one is. it looks like a ruben red/sunshine hybrid but dont know for sure, would have to see it live. can anyone else identify that 3rd guy?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store