Skimmer assistance please

GCS2000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
Well it looks like the pump on my skimmer is gone (no longer powers on) so I need to get a new skimmer. I have been researching and researching til my brain hurts and appears I still don't have a solid decision.

Tank is an Aqueon 120G RR (48" wide version)
Aqueon Model 4 sump with live rock frags instead of bioballs in the sump
(2) Mag 9s for returns
FOWLR at the moment but I would like to add a clown with anemone at some point, doubt I will ever get into corals
Current stock - Blue Hippo, Marine Betta, Copperband Butterfly, (5) Green Chromis, (3) Bartlett's Anthias, Banded shrimp, Sand sifting starfish, and a pencil urchin

My needs are a good skimmer that works in the sump (it has a fair amount of space in the sump) that doesn't need constant tweaking to work. I also need it to be fairly quiet since it is in my office and near the steps to the bedrooms.

I was originally looking at a Reef Octopus Xtreme but every review I read says they are noisy. After more research it seems the SWC 230 is a well loved skimmer but I am concerned its too much skimmer for my tank (and I don't like the price). Other alternatives seem to be the SWC 160, AquaMaxx Cone 2, E-shopps PSK-200.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Greg

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
I've never been a fan of all-in-one skimmers because when the motor blows it's usually over. I use the Nataulus TE skimmer tube with an external pondmaster 750 - replaced the motor once $65 and very easy. Having the submerged external drive also gives me the option to get the motor behind the 3rd stage block thus stopping any type of debris from contact with the drive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store