Ive grown to hate aragonite (also cleaning sand)

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I buy aragonite rice or beads instead of sand. Before placing it in tanks, I rinse it, in small batches in a 5gal bucket, constantly stirring it, until the water in the bucket runs clear. No problems afterward.

Runitis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg,MB, Canada
I buy aragonite rice or beads instead of sand. Before placing it in tanks, I rinse it, in small batches in a 5gal bucket, constantly stirring it, until the water in the bucket runs clear. No problems afterward.
Probably a better choice but its a little too chilly for doing this outside and my mother would not like sand/muck in her tub... I also assumed it would be cleaner being I got it used from another hobbiest!

My fish life is sparked up with Polys :)

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
your problem could be to much water flow, the water could be bombarding the sandbed stirring it up constantly

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
The cardboard stops the rushing water from stirring up the aragonite during the initial fill - I use corona beer cases they have a wax coating - done this numerous times over the years with exceptional results.

However like the above if the in tank flow is too high after the fill you'll need to address it

Runitis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg,MB, Canada
your problem could be to much water flow, the water could be bombarding the sandbed stirring it up constantly
I thought about that but I don't think its enough really the sand doesn't move and Its not really sand its actually pretty big pieces.
The cardboard stops the rushing water from stirring up the aragonite during the initial fill - I use corona beer cases they have a wax coating - done this numerous times over the years with exceptional results.

However like the above if the in tank flow is too high after the fill you'll need to address it
Oh on top of the sand I took iit as underneath it for some reason. Well Here it is today after a water change on Friday. It seems to be clear with a yellow tint.

My fish life is sparked up with Polys :)

uploadfromtaptalk1360600619375.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store