"First" salt

JedisonsDad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2012
Cannon AFB
Today, my wife and I picked up our first SW tank. I had a few as a kid in Puerto Rico, but those were maintained by my mom, and I actually just looked at them.

We managed to pick up a 56 gallon cube-ish, with stand, live sand, live rock, heater, HOB filter, protein skimmer, nets, food, water jugs, and 2 clowns, all for $150.

The lady we purchased it from only saved some of the water for us, and by the time we made the 2 hour drive home, the LFS was closed. We were a bit unprepared, as we were only in that town tonight by pure accident, and had originally scheduled to pick it up this weekend.

My main concerns are the extremely low water level, lack of filtration, and exposed live rock. Will my two clowns be okay for tonight, until I can get water tomorrow? Right now I at least have the heater operating for them.

What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1360301772.808284.jpg

Ptrick125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown Texas
Today, my wife and I picked up our first SW tank. I had a few as a kid in Puerto Rico, but those were maintained by my mom, and I actually just looked at them.

We managed to pick up a 56 gallon cube-ish, with stand, live sand, live rock, heater, HOB filter, protein skimmer, nets, food, water jugs, and 2 clowns, all for $150.

The lady we purchased it from only saved some of the water for us, and by the time we made the 2 hour drive home, the LFS was closed. We were a bit unprepared, as we were only in that town tonight by pure accident, and had originally scheduled to pick it up this weekend.

My main concerns are the extremely low water level, lack of filtration, and exposed live rock. Will my two clowns be okay for tonight, until I can get water tomorrow? Right now I at least have the heater operating for them.

What do you think?

Sounds like you got a good deal :) The water should clear up some, and I think the clowns should live. It may has been stressful during the move however.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JedisonsDad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2012
Cannon AFB
Will the live rock be okay for tonight/tomorrow, with it sticking up like that?

Also, it's a cycled tank already, correct? So when should I be able to start adding a fish or two? Or possibly an anemone? My wife really wants one.

Another thing. I have no clue how this protein skimmer works.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Put some water in a plastic bag, soda bottle, or container. Drop it in the tank. It will raise the level of the water without changing the salinity of it. Should be good until tomorrow.

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Hard to say - you need water movement to stabilize ph - remove unwanted gases and add oxygen they might survive might not. Next problem will be pre-mixing and heating the SW your gonna add - more time without.

LR will be fine probably go thru a mini cycle but nothing major.

Wait til' you got your head around keeping the fish alive and tank stable for several months til you try your hand at Nem's.

Protein skimmers work like this - air is injected into water then sent into a cyclonic tube were the air bubbles trap and lift dissolved proteins and small particles into a collection cup.

Test kit will tell you when it is safe to add more - Nitrates 20ppm or less with nem's shot for 5ppm

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store