Ultima II 2000 and UV Filter Install... Help please!

peterp63

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
On a boat!
So, I recently purchased a laguna max flow 4200 submersible pump, an Ultima II 2000 filter, and a 55 watt UV filter. My plan is to stick the sub pump into my 180 gallon sump and pump to my ultima and on to my UV and return to the tank. I already have two mag 24's returning to the tank from the sump, so this will be in addition to these. My reasoning behind this setup is so that I can stop replacing filter socks and rely on the Ultima II and my other 3 big canister filters for mechanical filtration. I'm just tired of changing them out and my space is limited to access the filter sock holder anyways (a bit annoying to change daily LOL). My plan is to install aerators (bubblers) so that the bio ball sections do not accumulate too much "gunk". I also have a moving bed using K1 that will obviously use the air for moving the bed around. The main job of the Ultima is to capture particulates from the bio material and anything else that will make it through the sump, add flow to the tank, and add bio capacity. The UV is something that I purchased for a pond project, but I decided to try it out on this tank first. Oh, it's a 600 gallon tenecor with two overflows.

I know the Laguna is not the ideal pump, but I do not want to drill at this point and, again, I have a limited amount of space. Plus, I think it will workout fine :)

Here's a picture of my new toys....

IMAG0176.jpg

One question.. where would you stick valves in this loop?? And, am I crazy to run it like this???? I don't do water changes because I do a constant "drip" into the tank equaling about 150 gallons per day. So, I other than backwashing the Ultima, I won't really be turning these pumps on/off.

Thanks MFK!!!

IMAG0176.jpg

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
I hope it works out for you. There is at least one thread on MFK where the writer felt that he wasn't getting enough mechanical filtration through his Ultima, and he added filter socks to his sump. I plan on returning the water from my sump back to the main tank via an Ultima and UV sterilizer using an external pump. I'll be using Ultimas primarily for biological filtration, and any mechanical filtration they do will be an added bonus.

peterp63

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
On a boat!
Yes, I did read that someone felt that there were particulates coming from the ultima's outlet line, so they ran it through further mechanical filtration. I'm hoping the ultima will do better than that and to with routine back washing, take care if my particulates issue. My stock level is very high in my tank so the more mechanical filtration the better.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

peterp63

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
On a boat!
Reporting back... This setup works like a dream. Some commented that this pump may not put up the flow rte, but I assure you they are wrong! Lots of flow through this setup although I hope it's not too much for the UV to do it's proper job.

peterp63

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
On a boat!
Basically, using a laguna 4300 sub pump in the sump and running that through the Ultima II 2000, then to a big UV light and back to the tank. I also have 2 x mag 24's in the sump, but my overflows can't keep up with all that return flow, so one of the mags stays off now.

I also use 3 large canister filters, Eheim 2262 and two XP4's. The sump is a 180 gallon with a ton of bio.

Oh, and I also run a large drip system (150 GPD).

Here's a vid of my tank... yes, there are a lot of fish/rays.

[video=youtube;PdLF93ezro4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdLF93ezro4[/video]

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
Basically, using a laguna 4300 sub pump in the sump and running that through the Ultima II 2000, then to a big UV light and back to the tank. I also have 2 x mag 24's in the sump, but my overflows can't keep up with all that return flow, so one of the mags stays off now.

I also use 3 large canister filters, Eheim 2262 and two XP4's. The sump is a 180 gallon with a ton of bio.

Oh, and I also run a large drip system (150 GPD).

Here's a vid of my tank... yes, there are a lot of fish/rays.

[video=youtube;PdLF93ezro4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdLF93ezro4[/video]
You have some beautiful fish.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Looks good to me, glad your setup is working out well, I would agree with your thought that the UV probably need slower flow going through it to be most effective. Thanks for the video love the rays.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Reactions: JK47
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store