1 inch per 5 gallons is BS

Athleticfisherman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
Canada
I have a 55 gallon saltwater set up that I will be turning into a reef in the near future, my problem is that everyone says that you shouldn't exceed 1 inch per 5 gallons. So that means I wouldn't be able to go over 11 inches right?
Well right now I have a 3 inch yellow thang, 2 clowns that are about 2,5 inches each, 1 black cap basslet that is 3,5 and a scooter blenny that is 1 inch.
So that means I'm already over my limit and they're only juveniles and I see so many beautiful reef set ups with 2 tangs that are 9" with a bunch of other small fish and they are all healthy so I'd like to call this rule incorrect. Anyone else agree?

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
The rule is one inch per gallon

Sent from my HTC One V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
This is MFK right - large sizes matter................

your problem is 9" fish in a 12" wide tank with one third of the tank filled with rock in it's way - fish will probably stress and die

sunfishh

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2008
Fullerton California
I have heard the 1" per 5 gallon rule too. However these days most salt water hobbiest are more conservative than that. A lot of them will tell you need a 100 gallon tank to keep a yellow tang. Personally I would suggest you stock slowly and monitor your water quality. Remember every system is different.

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
The number of inches per gallon rules are good to go by for people who don't have a good grasp of water chemistry and don't put the effort into their tanks that we do. We know they're flawed rules and there are many variables to take into account and many exceptions to those rules. The best way to determine your stocking level is to take into account your filtration, feeding habits, overall fish size(not just length), how messy they are, and most importantly-are all of your parameters able to be kept at proper levels.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store