Are these leeches in with my blackworms?

Smertrios

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2007
USA
I bought more blackworms and like the first batch this one has leech like critters in it. When I poured the blackworms out I put some of the leeches that were still clung to the bag into a 16oz container. That was 2 days ago and just now I noticed that the 1 blackworm that was in the container with them is gone. I put about 1/2 dozen more blackworms in with them and watched. These leeches (if they are leeches) like eating blackworms! I wonder how the blackworm farmers can have worm predators without it becoming a problem.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I occasionally find leeches in with my live Blackworms and just remove them as I see them.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Won't the fish just eat the leeches?

Smertrios

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2007
USA
I have read that planaria will regenerate if cut in 2 and that leeches will die if cut up. I took 9 of the "leeches" out of the blackworms and cut them in half and it looks like they are going to regenerate so they are planaria. The ones that were still in with the blackworms have been turning white and dead in the near freezing water. The blackworms are not effected by the cold (even a small sheet of ice formed on the water)

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
I get other squirmy things in with mine too.they disappear as quickly as the worms, so whatever they are, they must taste good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store