Reef tank questions

tomcat.415

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
N.J
I have a 46 gallon reef tank and I haven't done a water change since October and it was only five gallons. I have a frogspawn, bunch of mushrooms, acans, candy cane corals, Xenia, leather toadstool, gsp, button polyps, tree coral, and a giant hairy mushroom. I've had the tank since April and everything is great. I have a reef octopus skimmer, 4 t5 ho lights and a 20 gallon refugium. I just think I want to do sps and more Lps. I going to start dosing it with calcium
But besides that I don't dose. Last time a did a water test there was no problems with the water do you think I should start doing water changes and can I just start dosing suddenly or should I do it slowly

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

KellyFrancis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2012
Somerset WI
There's never any harm in water changes. And it would replenish some of the things you are thinking about dosing. I'd start there and, after a couple weeks of regular changes, reevaluate whether you need to dose anything. :)

Ptrick125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown Texas
I have a 46 gallon reef tank and I haven't done a water change since October and it was only five gallons. I have a frogspawn, bunch of mushrooms, acans, candy cane corals, Xenia, leather toadstool, gsp, button polyps, tree coral, and a giant hairy mushroom. I've had the tank since April and everything is great. I have a reef octopus skimmer, 4 t5 ho lights and a 20 gallon refugium. I just think I want to do sps and more Lps. I going to start dosing it with calcium
But besides that I don't dose. Last time a did a water test there was no problems with the water do you think I should start doing water changes and can I just start dosing suddenly or should I do it slowly

Don't you top off the water at least once a week? I have to add lots of water to my 75 gallon, to me it counts as WC. It is technically a WC when you empty the skimmer.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
if your going to dose calcium I would also recommend dosing with a 2 part calcium and alkalinity supplement and if you start doing water changes use instant ocean reef crystals. Tell me if you add those corals are you getting rid of your current corals or you going to Squeeze them all in 1 tank cause your going to have coral warfare with the sps, lps. Lots of them need at least 10 gallons per coral is what I have done the past some 20 years in a tank that small and that many corals your going to possibly loose corals around certain LPS depending on species you choose and how close the neighboring corals are so please really research and take your time don't just spend and add corals or you'll suffer losses with chemical warfare among corals

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store