Maintenance advice

steve617

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Piney Flats, TN
I have 2 or 3 years experience in keeping a live rock / fish tank. I have over 20 years experience in keeping FW. Anyway a friend of mine's future daughter-inlaw owns a business and has a hex type reef tank that is in very poor condition. Mostly just rock and a few inverts. They have 2 fish a clown and a 6 line wrase also have a octopus. (I have zero experience in keeping them). She said she thought it was a 60 gallon tank but if I guess it maybe smaller. The person that was taking care of it had quit and in our small town they are very few people if any that does tank maintenance but I told them I would do it. They wanted someone they could trust if they needed to go after hours. She said they had had some fish that had died. I asked if they been changing water and her reply was she just added water. (no chlorine remover)I thought that was good untill she said they been added tap water. Anyway Im going in 2 days to do some maintenance. Did not have a hydrometer so have no ideal what the SG is. So first Ill check the SG and amonia, nitrites and nitrates. I'll also do a water change. I'll also replace the Tetra Min for some better fish food. It does have a nice UV steralizer and canister. Thanks for any advice especially with octopus.

tank1a.jpgfilter1a.jpgoct1.jpg

tank1a.jpg

filter1a.jpg

oct1.jpg

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
That last pic is a serpent star, not a octopus :).

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

steve617

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Piney Flats, TN
Its in bad shape don't think its had a water change in a while going to mix some water today and do a partial change tomorrow. Any suggestions on the slime. Could not believe they were just adding tap water with chlorine to keep the water level up.

Sent from my XT907 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

steve617

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Piney Flats, TN
Later today I'm going to vacuum rocks bought new filter media(phosphate remover; carbon) also going to add ultra life red slime remover. Of course water change.

Sent from my XT907 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Just an FYI - you may already know - red slime can manufacture it's own nitrogen so when attacking cyano you have several avenues - PO4 which GFO will take care of in time. Tap water littered the tank w/ PO4 so R/O top offs and changes. Lastly light unlike diatoms that aren't photo feeders cyano is - after you physically remove as much as you can reduce the lighting to no more than 8 hours and be sure there is no direct sunlight hitting the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store