has this happened to you?

jkusnierz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2013
United States, Massachusetts
i am wondering if this has ever happened to you. When you walk in to your LFS and you see a fish that is not "normal" (meaning its not often/if ever you see it in stock) that you just buy it on impulse? I know it sounds like being irresponsible but you know that fish may not be around again for a long time!! For me it happens but its only happens if i have fish of the same size and temperament. i would never buy say a discus to put it in with my flowerhorn no matter how nice and good the deal is. like i said is this just me or does it happen to anyone else. last time i did this buy was a costly expense as i had to buy a 125 gallon tank set up so i could handle my other fish etc. but its so worth it in the end. the main reason why i ask this question also is a few weeks back i walked into a new LFS and he had a Red Texas for $23.00. now around here a Red Texas is almost impossible to come across. Then a week and a half after later i walk in and see the most beautiful Flowerhorn i have ever seen. In the 7+ year i have been in the hobby not one of the LFS had a flowerhorn of that magnitude(my avatar pic). so i had to buy him not to mention the wicked deal i got on him, i couldn't have possible said no. I hate to think of my self as being an irresponsible fish owner. but its sometimes is hard to pass up. Sorry if this seems like a rant.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
I've done it quite a bit. My only rules are I have to permanently be able to house it for life and it has to fit the current tank mates needs.

My Freddy and Jag were impulse buys. I have a half dozen Denisons that were an impulse buy as well.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jkusnierz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2013
United States, Massachusetts
My wife won't let me go anymore
Lol my wife loves to go... but dreads what happens while I'm there. Most of the time now I walk in just to talk with the owners and see what's new and try not to buy. I'm maxed out for now but my sons 2nd birthday is coming up in march and I'm thinking a great gift would be a 46 gallon bow front set up or a 55 gallon set up. Father son bonding......wonder if that will work craigslist has some great deals

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Ya its happened to me. At one point i became obssesed with small plecos

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

hamster

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
Ipswich England
I have a lfs near me that always gets in fish you dont expect to see in a lfs every day. That makes it very hard to walk out without a new friend.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
I've done it quite a bit. My only rules are I have to permanently be able to house it for life and it has to fit the current tank mates needs.
x2

I've got 5 Geophagus steindachneri swimming around now because of it. :D

zoohouse

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Arlington
Stay away from fish auctions.LOL

I always end up spending all night setting up accommodations for impulse buys.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store