HELP Gradual Fresh to saltwater transition

Mgoc

Feeder Fish
Feb 13, 2013
Lincoln, NE
Hi everyone, I really would appreciate any help from the people on this forum. Im new here, this is my first post so please excuse me if I sound like I have no idea of what I am doing.

I made the "mistake" of buying a columbian shark but I have learned a lot about them in the past few months. I've had my fish for about a year in freshwater in a 50 gallon tank with two red tail tinfoil barbs and a common plecostomus but now I've learned that my shark needs brackish water and can adapt to saltwater conditions which is what we decided to do. I found homes for the barbs and pleco since I know they can not be acclimated to saltwater.

My goal is to change the water conditions to brackish first and introduce two more sharks and very gradually make a transition to full saltwater conditions (possibly an reef system?) I will go from gravel to sand (argonite?) and add a couple of marine fish to the aquarium.

Any tips on how to achieve this? My plan is to do all of this within a year from now.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks so muchIMG_1910.JPG

IMG_1910.JPG

robert.mccook.elm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2013
California
im not an expert on this subject but from what i know, i do know that you will need to slowly raise the SG in your tank over a fairly long amount of time. keep in mind as well that those sharks do get big and will eat smaller fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store